Les Paul Special II review by Epiphone

• Reviewer's score: 6.4 Neat
Epiphone: Les Paul Special II

Price paid: C$ 150

Purchased from: Local Music Store

I play mainly alternative rock/metal, a mixture of clean and distorted guitar. I use a variety of different amps, but I mainly judge a guitar based on what kind of sound it can produce in accordance with my pedal setup. This guitar has an okay sound. It doesn't sound too bad with heavier distortions, the clean is a little bit buzzy though. This guitar would be okay as a rythym guitar in a quieter group. However, it is not well suited for louder venues.

This guitar was ok for a rythym guitar player playing simple rythmic patterns, but little more. (For live stuff) For at home practice, it's fine. I've been playing for 4+ years and was not overly impressed by this guitar. If this guitar was lost or stolen, I would probably look at buying something else (probably an Ibanez). I love that this guitar has the Les Paul style to it; it looks like a great guitar. Other than that it's not a very high quality product. I hate the fact that the knobs came right off and that the neck was too thick. This two factors limited the guitar to simple practice at home as opposed to the possibility of playing this guitar at live shows. I would recommend this guitar to beginners or to rythym guitar players who are on a budget. Other than that, it is unsuitable for lead playing and larger venues.

This guitar will withstand live playing. However, it will perform better if used properly. For example, it will probably perform best if it is used for rythym purposes (power chords, basic chord patterns, no shredding or anything like that) The hardware will last, provided the guitar is well taken care of. I would not use it a gig without a backup however. I would not use it at all without a noise gate to prevent the buzzing. Not that the buzzing is overly loud, it just gets annoying after a while. The strap buttons are NOT solid at all. On the first day I owned this guitar one of the strap buttons came right off. I put bigger buttons on and those ripped right out as well. I had to bring it back and get it "professionaly" repaired, so I was very disappointed with that. The model I bought was black so even after my constant use it's hard to see the scratches of the pick on the lower half of the guitar. Other than the strap buttons, it's a fairly

The guitar's action is a little bit under average. The actualy body is a lot heavier than most guitars, which gives it an awkward feel. the neck is also a little bit too thick, making it more difficult to play faster solos. I would recommend this guitar for simpler playing as it is not well suited for advanced playing. This guitar has 2 humbucker pickups and therefore gives a fairly well rounded sound. The guitar itself contained no noticeable flaws, though it has no pickguard so the lower part of the body does scratch after some time. Also, some of the tuning pegs loosen after a while. The tone knobs are pretty good quality though; they don't loosen or malfunction. The finish/wood is of relatively decent quality as well. Overall a fairly well built guitar, but not overly versatile.

Bought this guitar from a local music store about a year ago. Specs: 22 medium frets, 24.75 scale neck, Mahogany neck, Laminated alder/maple body, 1 volume knob, 2 tone knobs, Pickup Configuration: 700T, 650R, 3 way selector, 2 humbucker pickups, open coil. No accessories came with this guitar.

boblittle
    should i get this... im a biginer but i play alot ( in 1 day i play a bout 17 hours +) i have a SQUIRE S.E. srat and... a sp10 amp... i am going to eventually get a GIBSON LP but thats not for a wile
    devovinium
    If your really playing 17 hours a day then your guitar skills should skyrocket fairly quickly. You get out of it what you put into it. However since this seems to be something you want to pursue more aggressively and lets be honest your squire isn't gonna cut it for much longer then no the lp special II is not for you. I would just go with a better quality les paul if you had your heart set on a true les paul. However if price is an issue, I think you'd really benefit from a Agile AL-2000. You can get them from Rondomusic.com for around $225 or so. They're great and alot better than most epiphone lps.