Les Paul Special II review by Epiphone

• Reviewer's score: 3.4 Poor
Epiphone: Les Paul Special II

Purchased from: Rippers Music, Newport News Va

When I purchased this guitar I thought the sound was great, but it was a huge step up from my previous guitar at the time which was an ESP LTD EX-50. Compared to that of course a person would be like holy shnikies! But even still the body didn't supply that long sounding sustain or deep throaty sound one would expect from the Les Paul name. I was using it with a Fender Frontman II at the time.

I play alot of rock music and do covers for bands like 3DG, Metallica, SOAD, Paramore, Papa Roach, and Nickelback. This guitar when it worked did ok with these kinds of tones, but could have been better. My first guitar was a Squire Bullet, and it was better than this thing and about $80 cheaper. In the end I pawned it for a measly $20 and felt lucky cause when the pawn shop owner tried it the pick-ups both worked. Had they not I wouldn't even have got $20 for it. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone. There are alot better guitars out there for that kind of money.

This is where the guitar really failed me. After owning it for 2 months the pickup Switch stopped working. Now it didn't stop working entirely just most the time and if I switched it back and forth eventually the connection would meet and boom my Bridge pickup would work. At the time I think I was only playing guitar for like 2 hours a week or so, so with this little bit of use that should not have happened (not that it should anyway). The strap button on the butt of the guitar came loose and needed constant tightening. Lastly the fret buzz got worse and worse the long I owned it.

The action on this thing upon purchase was horrible the strings were set way too high and there was alot of fret buzz particularly around the lower notes (higher frets like 1st and 2nd). At the time I had just started playing guitar and didn't know any better though. I didn't even know to ask for a set up from the dealer. The frets also seemed particularly high and you felt each on distinctly when running your fingers over the board. I know someone will say "you're supposed to feel them" I'm aware of that what I mean is that these were higher than what would be expected.

Features: - Made in the USA - 22 jump frets, rosewood fretboard - Mahogany/rosewood neck, alder/maple body - Dot inlays, chrome hardware - Ebony black finish - Les Paul form factor - Tune-o-matic bridge - One volume, one tone, one three-way Switch - Two humbucking pickups - Non-locking tuners When I purchased this guitar Rippers gave me a free strap, gig-bag, and 10' cable.

rv_phoenix
    devovinium wrote: should i get this... im a biginer but i play alot ( in 1 day i play a bout 17 hours +) i have a SQUIRE S.E. srat and... a sp10 amp... i am going to eventually get a GIBSON LP but thats not for a wile If your really playing 17 hours a day then your guitar skills should skyrocket fairly quickly. You get out of it what you put into it. However since this seems to be something you want to pursue more aggressively and lets be honest your squire isn't gonna cut it for much longer then no the lp special II is not for you. I would just go with a better quality les paul if you had your heart set on a true les paul. However if price is an issue, I think you'd really benefit from a Agile AL-2000. You can get them from Rondomusic.com for around $225 or so. They're great and alot better than most epiphone lps.
    Don't pay attention to those offering advice, when they are supposed to receive them. That Agile is just a Korean crap: it has nor the proper wood, neither the proper pickups of a Les Paul. There are A LOT of other Les Paul-type guitars, at around 300-400 euros, who are actually faithfull reproductions of the Les Paul original concept and beliefs about a guitar. You can try the Hodsons, probably the best LP-type guitars under 400 euros, the Vintage V-100 (more affrodable and more comfortable), the Deans, the Ibanez ART30, or the Epiphones above 350 euros: LP Standard, LP Custom, not to mention the wonderful Black Beauty. But if you began with a Squire, it's not such a good sign about your path into music: it's just the wrong way. Studying 17 hours a day on a lousy instrument means only multiplicating by 1700 the misstakes you make, because your ears will gate used to the whole bunch of false notes coming our of a Squier. That's something hard to get rid of! Most of all, don't buy guitars online! Go to a decent music shop and listen to the guitars' sound with your own ears, and, if possible, a specialist next to you, for the good advice...
    heinrick
    This is possibly one of the best guitars for beginners out there. I had one for about two years, I just got an Ibanez S420 in December, but I still play it whenever I'm using any type of dropped tuning, as I have a floating trem on my new guitar. It has great action control, good tuning stability, and an impressive tone; I highly recommend it.
    Rtard_GWARRIOR
    grohl1987 wrote: What's with all the reviews on here saying it's made in America or Japan? "Solid ebony body"? No such thing exists. The only MIA or MIJ LP Special is the faded one Gibson started making a year ago but that's not called the Special II, that's a proper Les Paul Special. Seems like most of these reviews were written by people who know absolutely jack-shit nothing about guitars.
    Thank you. I was looking at the reviews thinking the same thing. People need to REALLY take a look at the handy little writing on the back of the headstock.
    devovinium
    This first sentence here
    makes no sence. First off his grammar is way ****ed up, second any Epiphone (excluding maybe the really high end ones) are korean made as well. The kid was asking whether or not to buy a les paul speciall II. I'd advise against anyone buying one of those pieces of crap. Second, pickups can be replaced and yes the wood is the same. The cheapest gibson which is over $1000 is made of mahogany just like the Agile's. As for the pickups, they all vary including the ones in the Gibsons based on how much you spend, and what year you buy it, so to say they're not real Les Paul Pickups is ignorant. Dont over complicate things for a beginner buy being close minded and ignorant. I do agree however that you should dump that squire asap!
    Peter Metal
    Hi guys! A litlle help please. For a Beguinner, what would you recommend? This les Paul from Epiphone Vs the Cort X-1. What would be better? Thank U all!
    -Hassy-08-
    RandyRhoads12 wrote: WTF? This guitar is horrible, Ive used 3 different ones and they all sounded horrible.
    50 reviews beg to differ.