Les Paul Special II review by Epiphone

Epiphone: Les Paul Special II

I play mostly metal and this guitar suits it very well. It can actually get a decent tone out of my terrible Peavey Rage 158. It gets a rich, full tone with scooped mids out of the neck pickup and mid setting, but can get a bit much on the Bridge pickup. It gets a good variety with good distortion and a fair clean, though with the right settings I can get a great blues tone out of it.

I love this guitar. I would advise anyone who is low on cash to get this, as it is the best guitar in its price range. The only thing it could have more is individual tone and volume switches for each pickup. If it were stolen, I would get the lp 100 because that is the next model up. This is a good sturdy guitar that will definitely last. If you want a cheap one, this is the one to get.

This guitar will last. I have dropped it and you can't find a single mark on it. It's strap buttons are rock solid and the finish is thick and won't wear off soon. I would not gig without a backup because of the fact that the pickup selector is a bit wobbly and will clip every once in a while. That is really the only issue I can pick out.

It was perfectly set up from the factory with a low action. The finish on it is amazing because it is the normal wine red except you can see the wood grain underneath it. The only flaw here is the stock tuners are loose but after a week were broken in. After that they worked fairly well and were easy to tune with.

My guitar has a normal stopbar/tune-O-Matic bridge, two alcino v humbuckers, and crappy machinehead tuners. It has a basswood body, and a rosewood fretboard. The finish is a transparent wine red that is a limited edition finish and it is just amazing. It only has one tone and one volume. Average features for a guitar in this price range, although I do like the Tune-O-Matic bridge.

freefour
    to xxtatiana and Peter Metal, this one is a great starter guitar and a good overall one to just have fun with . The Lp 100 is a bit better and has all the controls think of it as an upgrade . If you have the money the LP 100 would be a better choice as you can grow into it and without limits for tone and volume adjustments like with the Special 2 which only has one of each operating both pups . The Special 2 is a great choice too , just depends on what you want to do with your guitar . I've been playing for 28 years and although have played many my own gear has always been one tone and one volume . Which ever you chose play the crap out of it , when you can make it sing either plugged in to an amp or not then think about a nicer more advanced axe .