Les Paul Special II review by Epiphone

Epiphone: Les Paul Special II

The guitar sounds great. It resonates very well from the tip of the head to the butt. The pickups after I set it up to my liking sound great, not muddy at all. Clean when you want them, crunchy when you want them. The vol. And tone pots work from 10-1 without any choppiness or anything and have a solid feel to them like they will last not plastic feeling like I felt on other makes and models. Although I am only using a Micro Cube now (left my Princton Reverb amp in the states) it sounds great threw it in every style. Let me say this it is not a Gibson 335 or Les Paul Custom but I didn't pay that kinda price for this either. What I got was a guitar that for the money paid is a excellent well made guitar that is easy to add Custom parts to and build upon as I own and play and enjoy it.

I play mostly older 70's and 80's style rock as well as some classical, bluegrass, country when I've a little JD. Alt, R+B, easy listening, just all kinds sort of. I have been playing guitars since 1983 and really Susanna does everything I play well, not necessarily great in any one aspect but good over all. I'm very pleased with her and would I replace her if lost or stolen. Duh yeah. I have played many makes and models of guitars over the last 28 years from classic Gibsons, acoustics, electrics, Fenders, Washburns, Ibanezs, B.C. Rich. And the list goes on. You name it and I have probably played it once or twice or more lol lived just outside Nashville TN for years and always went to the stores and studios as a kid. Played at festivals and for just for fun with my buddies. If I wanted a better guitar I would have bought it, if I wanted a specific sound I know what to get, but for overall just strumming around and having a guitar that can cover as many bases as I do it does the job and does it well. Very happy.

Susanna would definitely hold her own in a gig and I would have no problem take her to one.Everything seems to hold up well and stay correct and not like fall off lol. I have great fun outside on our balcony strumming along for a few hours at a time and she hasn't let me down at all or even giving a hint that she would. A well made basic guitar that should last.

When I opened the box it was some what in tune but really who just opens the box and plays one lol. I set up the pups, action to 2.2 mm and 2.0 mm, intonation, although roughly from the box it was close, just fine tuned it a bit. The finish is gorgeous love it love it love it. The blacked out hardware is fairly tough, haven't chipped it yet. I have had to take the inlet jack off because it kept getting loose. Looked at the nut and it was in a binde (the stop nut not the nut on the outside) took it off and put another on put plate back on and secured outside nut and haven't had any problems since (and I check it daily lol) The tuners I haven't had any problems out of at all. Maybe once a week I will need to give it a tiny adjustment, really tiny like on the meter is showing a hare sharp or flat but still in the green so that could simply be from different temps and humidity in the air when I am playing it. But then your guitar should be a little temperamental that's what gives them character.

I bought it this march 2011 new in box sealed (but found out it was manufactured 2008) in Indonesia. It is sweet wine red with the blacked out hardware. Standard frets, body, blah blah blah as other special 2 listed just the wine red has the blacked out hardware. 650 and 700 Alnico V pups are not bad at all realy.A tone and volume and three way selector is all you get, but then that's all I need. The neck felt bigger compared to my 1974 Vintage that I have had since 1983 lol but then it is a Les Paul. The Tuners are the Standard flare and do seem to be ok and stay in tune fairly well, not lockers but hey so I like to tinker a bit every once and a while. Great base to start with and build what I want later. Like a Mustang GT. You don't buy it to just keep it stock. Ya gotta HOT rod that pony.

deerslaya8898
    this is the best guitar i have ever bought... it has great tone, even though i wish it had more nobs, but who cares... great guitar
    jacobrentz
    the sustain on the higher frets suck but other than that its pretty good had to adjust the neck after i bought it though
    jacobrentz
    ixion wrote: nmot being harsh... but its a 200$ guitar... have you ever played a real PRS? tell me this: play for 5/10 years. Get actually good.. then play a PRS then play that.. then tell me if its the best guiitar ever.. liek wtf.. how can it get 10 for everything on reviews.. played one myself.. nothing special.. pick ups have low sustain and go muddey..
    sorry decided to post this comment thats already been posted to show im not the only person that thinks this for future refrence
    macrun
    ive had this guitar for awhile. it has the gibson nut cover on it. showin some wear on the fret board. never had any problems with it. at all. run it threw a peavey vyper. still sounds great.