Les Paul Standard review by Epiphone

• Reviewer's score: 5.2 Decent
  • Users' score: 8.3 (1,334 votes)
Epiphone: Les Paul Standard

Purchased from: Local retailer

The sound suits my style quite well. The sound is quite bassy, but the sound is really falt. Not really clean, sounds a bitt messed up. Nothing intresting happens with the sound when you play it. The bridge pickup is in my opinion useless because of the horribly bad sound. The sound seems a bit "delayed" and has no full sound at all. I've tried to adjust the microphones, but nothing seems to help. At least you can get a wide variety of tones, with help of the pickup selector and the tone controls. Another cool thing is that the sound changes as you rise/lower the volume on the guitar.

I've played for four years and I must say that i know kinda lot for just been playing for four years. This guitar is good for rock, new as old, and hardrock and metal. Of course you can play punk with it too. If it was lost or stolen I wouldn't buy another one and that is mostly because I think i need a better guitar. If I did lose it when I wasn't so good at playing guitar i wouldn't replace it. I would have boughgt another guitar, like a cheaper Ibanez or so. However, if you change the microphones, the tuners and the saddle you would get a guitar as good as the cheaper Gibsons (worn and faded). Don`t buy this guitar for the fell of the neck and fretboard as I did! I think that the looks and neck (and fretboard) of this guitar is really good, BUT almost everything else is really bad.

As I said it can't stay in tune for longer than 10 minutes or so. And that's when play at home. I would never use it on stage, not even with a backup. The frets, finish and guitar will last for a long, long time, just don't count on that the mechanics (tuners, microphones,saddle...) will last very long. The strap buttons tend to loose easily.

I've had it for a while so I don't really remember how it was set up, but I have changed the action and some more minor things. Looks great!

This is a Epiphone Les Paul Standard made in Korea. It has 22 quite large frets (the size bigger than on Fenders) and has a 3way pickupselector and a tone and volume control per each humbucker. It has two passive humbuckers made by Epiphone. The neck is as thick (maybe a little bit thicker) as on a Fender Stratocaster on the low frets, but it gets thicker than the Stratocaster's neck higher up. The tuners are some kind of crap that doesnt stay in tune for longer than 10 minutes. The neck scale is 24.75" which is the most common for LP models. There were no accessories included. It looks beautiful though. The fretboard is abslolutley magnificent!