Les Paul Standard review by Epiphone

• Users' score: 8.3 (1,334 votes)
Epiphone: Les Paul Standard

Purchased from: Alto Music

I play everything rock, but I like to play the classic stuff mostly like Zeppelin. the guitar is great for rock. I use a Laney hcm65r combo amp and it sounds great through it. It has a rich fuller sound compared to the bright sound of a tele or Strat. The sounds can range from fat to fat pretty much. But I like that sound so it is fine with me. the neck pickup is pretty bassy so I don't use it all too often. I am thinking of replacing the pickups with higher output ones anyways, possible the tony iommi signatures from Gibson.

I have been playing seriously for about 2 years this guitar is perfect for me. I played a cheap Ibanez with wicked high action for quite a while. It hurt my hand to play that thing. The les paul may hurt my back after a few hours of standing but I can deal with the extra weight for the extra sustain. I play left handed so when I find a lefty guitar I usually check it out pretty seriously. The les paul was the one I liked the most as far as playability and cost. I love the looks of it and the way it feels in my hands. I guess the only I dont like is the weight but that is not a big issue to me. I would totally try to find another if some one stole this one but who the heck steals a left handed guitar? I would highly recommend it to anyone who is looking for a new guitar but doesn't have cash flowing out their rear end.

I have had this guitar for about 8 months and nothing has gone wrong with it. The strap buttons are nice and tight and the guitar still looks as beautiful as the day i bought it. The one thing is the jack for the cable is a little loose but it can be tightened pretty easily. I took the pickguard off because it looked cheap to me but now it's perfect. I have a crappy Ibanez but I wouldn't want to use that as a backup for the les paul because the les paul is die hard.

The action was pretty good coming straight from the factory. I lowered it a little which put my intonation out of whack so I have to go get that adjusted. The pickups looked like they were in the right place to me. The only thing oxidized on it were the strings but that was a standard fix. The controls are all really tight and I am surprised at the quality of the tuners. Stays in tune for a really long time.

It was made in Korea like most other epiphones, I am not sure what year, probably 2002. 22 fret, rosewood fretboard on a mahogany set neck. 3-way selector and two Gibson alnico humbuckers. The body is mohogany and the top is alder I think with a flamed maple look to it. It has the standard tuneomatic bridge. the neck is pretty chunky but I like it. The guitar's features are all top quality for a 500 dollar guitar.