Les Paul Standard review by Epiphone

• Users' score: 8.3 (1,334 votes)
Epiphone: Les Paul Standard

Purchased from: Aire Guitars

Excellent sound and impeccable playability as nice an action as a genuine Gibson! Much easier to tap and bend than on a Fender neck I think, although a 9 guage E string will tend to snap at the bridge graphite would be a good upgrade here, use use 10 guage strings. Keeps tune excellently unless you do a lot of bending. Very versatile sound, but best suited to rock and R&B. Over 30 seconds of sustain with distortion. Pretty weighty, not for wimps. I would recommend replacing the pickups if you are serious, the shelf ones can be a little underpowered. Originally it would pick up hum if near TV's etc, but I have since fully shielded the elctronics and it's silent now. I use a '70s HH Musician 100W and a selection of home made effects.

As a lead rock player this is my ideal axe. I bought it 3 years ago soley because it's a reputable company and the most beautiful guitar I can imagine. I wasn't dissapointed! I would definately buy the same (or an equally nice Gibson) if it were stolen. I replaced the pickups with Swineshead's which are much better than the originals. The fact that I can't use less than 10 guage is a slightly annoying, but I'm well used to it now.

I wouldn't choose to play any other guitar (not even a Gibson unless the flame was just as good), definately gig worthy, although I wouldn't risk using a 9 guage top E string. The strap buttons were fine, although I have replaced them with locking ones for safety's sake. Finish seems very durable, althouh I've added guitar armour as it's just too perfect to risk scratching!

I bought this as a factory second it had a chip in the varnish on the headstock and a couple of cracks in the plastic hardware where some screws had been over tightened. Action was good to begin with, but was like butter after a little adjustment. Top is a beautiful mached book of flame maple I rarely see one as nice in any music shop.

Made circa 2000, 22 frets, solid mohogany body with contoured flame maple top, rosewood fretboard. Cherry burst finish, chrome and cream hardware, Tune-O-Matic bridge, passive electronics, 2 vol, 2 tone, 3 way selector Switch. Standard neck and bridge position Epiphone humbuckers. Standard Gibson style non locking green tuners.