Les Paul Standard review by Epiphone

• Users' score: 8.3 (1,334 votes)
Epiphone: Les Paul Standard

Purchased from: Second Hand

I play mine with a Marshall 30w Valvestate. I use the LP to Drive the 30w amp to breaking point instead of relying on circuitry to get my bluesy tone, using the neck pickup. Switching the pickups mid-song allows for face melting solos and it really rings through.

I play Strokesy chords, bluesy shit, and that kind of Clash/Gang of Four and Libertines style all thrown together. A quick roll of the tone, vol and toggle all lends to the aforementioned styles. I wouldn't ever give this guitar up (unless for a Gibson) but I do wish I had a Fender Strat then I'd have all my tonal angles covered. Your standard guitar in the real sense of the word sets the benchmark for which all others must follow.

I would choose to play this guitar over any other humbucker guitar out there, and use another LP as a back up. In comparison to the 335 the LP holds tune and with 11s sounds the bollocks. The G does break but I guess that's just through consequence.

The cherry sunburst, apart from being a classic colour is great. The flamed laminate looks good and reminds me every time I pick it up just how cool the guitar is. I bought the guitar second hand and it was flawless but the high gloss finish does tend to get scratches quite easily, and belt buckles are a prime suspect.

The Korean made LP Standard really is a popular guitar, and for good reason too. Gibson quality at a fraction of the price equals a sensible choice for many a guitarist. The twin humbuckers, 4 tone/vol coupled with solid mahogany body all conspire to give you a hard working guitar (& bad back). The only real let down is the toggle Switch crackles when there's an output. I got the guitar 2nd hand off a friend who's now into dance music!