Les Paul Standard review by Epiphone

• Users' score: 8.3 (1,334 votes)
Epiphone: Les Paul Standard

This guitar definately suits my musical style. I play quite a bit of Zeppelin and other classic rock and this guitar suits these perfectly. It is also very adaptable to many other musical styles such as punk and heavy metal. The Mahogany body gives it a great rich tone and long sustain. I'm using the guitar with a Roland Cube 15 amp and a Boss MT-2 Metal Zone pedal and this is a great combination however it would benifit from a better amp such as a Marshall, on these it sounds mind blowing.

It's a great guitar and an excellent alternative to a super expensive Gibson, just a pity I had to do so much setting up.

This guitar will almost certainly withstand live playing but I'm not sure if the selector swich will last. I don't know whether I would use it without a backup as accidents do happen. The strap doesn't come off unlike my squire which lead to a rather large chunk of wood coming off the headstock.

The guitar was not set very well by the factory at all for some reason it came with incredably thick strings which almost madfe it sound like a bass! I also had to adjust the action as it was very high and the pickups also needed adjusting to get the sound I wanted. However now its setup correctly (for me), it's great.

I haven't got a clue when this was made I didn't even get a box for it when I bought it. Its made in korea which is nothing to be proud of but the build quality is excellent. The 22 frets are perfectly adequate for any type of music I've never needed any more anyway. The body and neck are both mahogany which give it an excellent tone quality. It's finished in honey burst and it looks absolutly excellent there isn't a mark on it it. But on the scrach plate there seems to be little black marks ingrained into it. The Tune-O-Matic bridge allows for easy ajustment of the action which is a good thing as I had to change this quite a lot when I bought it. The pickups are excellent and combined with the high quality materials in the rest of the quitar give a sound quality that is almost as good as a Gibson Les Paul. The guitar did not come with any accessories so it a good job I had everything I needed already.