Les Paul Standard review by Epiphone

• Reviewer's score: 6.4 Neat
  • Users' score: 8.3 (1,334 votes)
Epiphone: Les Paul Standard

Purchased from: Gak.co.uk

I play varying styles of music. Emo, rock, alternative (Taking Back Sunday, Brand New, Blink 182, Funeral For A Friend). This guitar suits it well, I bought this guitar as two of my favourite bands funeral for a friend and brand new use Les Pauls, and at the time I couldn't afford a Gibson, so an Epiphone was a comprimis really. Still sounds very good. I play it through a Marshall MG100 combo. So I get that real rock, distortion sound. I am very happy with the sound, the clean sounds very very fat. The treble on my Gibson SG isn't as fat as the rhythm on my LP! So that gives you an idea. Could be something to avoid if you are after a really raw distortion. The clean is very rich and fat, but its only when you play it with distortion that the guitar really shows you what its capeable of. Still sounding fat on distortion, sounds great and like a true british rock guitar. The one thing that really lets this guitar down is the noise. I stand about 15 feet away from my amp at our practices and I still get feedback, I can tell this isnt the amp as my SG doesn't have this problem.

This guitar is a good match for what I play, I have found a better though, my Gibson SG Special. I have been playing for three years now and I bought this in my second year of playing, I was over the moon and has been my prized posession since that day, I recently bought my SG and my opinions on my guitar have matured. I still love it, but my love in the first place hindered the bad point so I didn't mind. If this guitar was lost/stolen, I wouldn't buy it again, it is a great backup guitar for gigs but I am no way dishing 320 quid 4 it again. I love the action the fat tone, even though I am into the raw sound of my SG at the end of the day, although 180 more, the Gibson beats this on every feature by a long way. But if your looking for a decent priced, sounding guitar this is probably a good bet, there are better out there for that price though.

This guitar has been through a couple of gigs and has lasted me. I hardware is fine apart frm the flaws mentioned earlier exept, the strap button which comes loose evry now and then, no matter how hard you screw it in, it'll find a way to come loose again. The hardware has dissapointed me but its not going to completly fail on me on the middle of a gig.

The guitar was fully set up at the factory, and tuned, it obviosly lost its tune slightly during its shipping but its was more or less tuned. The action on this guitar was a big selling point to me, the neck is alot "lower down" which I like, the les paul is unique in this way. The bolt around where the input jack goes in unscrews every 2-3 days and the pickup selection has gone loose and is upside down from the words and wont Switch back! so I'm left confused alot of the time. Finish is nice, I didn't choose black due to fears that it will get covered in fingerprints and look bad. I didn't realise that Les Pauls were so heavy, the body is very solid and chunky which is fine wen sitting down, but makes jumping around stage hard.

My Epiphone Les Paul Standard was made in 2004 in Korea. It has 22 frets, the neck is maple and is a solid top. Heritage cherry sunburst (flamed top) finish. Made of mahogany I think. Has as HardTail bridge. Two volume knobs (one for the ryhthm pickup, one for the treble) and two tones aswell. 3-way pickup selection. 2 humbucker pickups not entirely sure the make and model of pickups sorry. Tuning heads are made by grover and are chrome, all hardware is chrome. I got a pathetic 5 foot lead with my Les Paul which broke after a couple of band practices with it.