Les Paul Standard review by Epiphone

• Users' score: 8.3 (1,334 votes)
Epiphone: Les Paul Standard

Purchased from: Merchant City Music

The rosewood fretboard is very smooth and nice to the touch. The neck is fast and sturdy, good balance and action.

Looks and sound pretty damn good. Great for a guitarist on a budget. I just bought this guitar and haven't put it down yet! I highly recommend this guitar. The look of the les paul is very cool. I like that it is heavy, gives a hell of a workout when performing for people. Keeps in tune very well. The only flaws are that the toggle Switch is not the best. The pickups could be a better but just Switch them out with actual Gibson pickups and this is solved immediately.

I am sure the hardware and electronics are not quality stuff but match the price of the guitar. No problem with the strap buttons yet! I'm sure it will last me until my skills require a better guitar. I would love to upgrade this guitar because I like the weight and the finish but have been advised against it, as the costs of customizing would be better put towards an Epi LP Custom.

The tuners are just as good as any Gibson tuners and that means that they are all okay but not great. This is why Iommi and Zakk Wilde have Sperzel locking tuners on their set-ups. Next, is the neck, it is solid, fast, smooth, and set well without any signs of weakness. Truss rod is nice. Bridge, saddle and such are all excellent. Action typically needs raising because it is normally set too low and will buzz the low E. Third, is the pickups. They are Gibson designs. Just like all other makers, the design is a cheaper version than the original. So, these pickups sound like the 490 + 498 that is found in the Gibson but are slightly less loud, sharp and clear. The translucent blue finish was very beautiful and looks like it will last me quite a few years.