Les Paul Standard review by Epiphone

• Users' score: 8.3 (1,334 votes)
Epiphone: Les Paul Standard

Purchased from: Long and Mcquade

This guitar is great for my music style. I play classic rock, thats it. I might play a little blues here and there but blues and classic rock are similar. If there are lots of amazing classic rock guitarist like Jimmy Page and Slash (to name a few) then it has to be good! The only problem that I have with the sound is when you use both of the humbuckers at once you get a bit of a scratchy sound. It actually sounds quite good in some situations. The neck humbucker has a nice warm sound that is very deep and very bassy. The bridge humbucker has a great dirty sound that works for almost everything. Overall the sound is amazing.

This guitar is an amazing match for rock and roll. I love the look, the weight and the rich sound, I hate the location of the neck strap button (it's a small price to pay for such an amazing instrument). If this guitar got stolen I would not only buy another one, I would seek out the poor sap who took it and beat him. Another feature I love is that it has Les Paul's signature on the neck, horizontally so that it's readable while playing. If you are looking for a guitar that you'll use for rock, or want to try a different style, the Les Paul is the choice.

This guitar would be a great choice for live playing. The strap buttons are very solid, but the only problem with them is since the strap button thats near the neck is almost vertical it has a tendancy to fall off. Using strap locks which cost about 2 dollars takes care of this problem immediately. This guitar is very durable, did I meantion that it's heavy? Much heavier than a regular electric guitar. I doubt that anything would ever break off on this guitar. I would never use anything on a gig without a backup but if I had to, this would be the choice.

This guitar has a slow action neck that is very easy to play and very comfortable to hold. This guitar contained absolutely no flaws save one (ironically the one that makes it impossible to play) the patch cord imput got very loose and went into the guitar. This made it so that I could not plug in my patch cord to play. I took it back to the store and using their tools they put it back on tightly in 10 minutes. Since then absolutely nothing has been wrong with it.

This is a great guitar, golden tophat and tone knobs, 2 nice humbuckers, a 3-way pickup Switch (neck pickup, bridge pickup, and both) and has a beautiful flametop sunburst finish. It also has nickel tuners and a Tune-O-Matic bridge. It has 22 frets, a dark fretboard finish and pearl trapezoid inlays. One thing that greatly increases the look of the guitar is the cream body and neck binding. The cream pickguard is another great feature.