Les Paul Standard review by Epiphone

• Users' score: 8.3 (1,334 votes)
Epiphone: Les Paul Standard

Purchased from: Gak

My music style varies, But the main band I focus on is Guns N' Roses. I also play, Velvet Revolver, Iron Maiden, RHCP, Foo Fighters, Aerosmith & many others. It handles all of the styles for these bands as I team it up with a Marshall MG15DFX Amp. It gives out a crisp sound when played clean and a chunky rock n roll sound when played with distortion. Fiddling with the amp I can easily find any sound that I need through this beauty. I am only using (along side my DFX amp) a Snarling Dogs wonder wah 2 pedal for my Guns N' Roses solos. This gives off a good enough sound for my taste although some people may want a bit more in the effects area but overall it handles good. I use Ernie Ball hybrid slinky strings to get my sound.

For the style of music I play it is a great match. I have been playing guitar for about 2 and a half years and this is a great guitar compaired to my first squire Strat. You can clearly tell the difference in quality as soon as you pick it up. It can pull of slash solos well when combined with my equipment. I wished I had held it before I had purchased it however (as I purchased it off the internet) just so I knew of the weight. If I lost it I would get a new one at the bargain price of 299. This is a great guitar and I can not afford a proper Gibson one yet so this is the closest I get for my musical style. I love the look and sound. I dont so much as "hate" the weight and the strap issue but it is more of an anoyance to me which could easily have been avoided with better craftmanship and a few lbs taking off. I do not really compaire it to any other guitar. It is the style and sound that I wanted therefor it was set in stone in my mind to buy this baby. The only other alternative would be to buy a Gibson les paul which I cant so id go for this every time. All round I would recommend it to any guitarist. Novice or experienced.

This guitar would definatly withstand live playing I would without a doubt gig with it without a backup. The hardware seems like it will last a long time. The strap buttons however arnt too great on my model, As described above. This is the only thing I would worry about when gigging. I was playing the other day stood up and the buttons just fell off but luckily I grabbed the guitar in time. Also with it being a big beast if it falls it falls hard. I also have to use strap locks on the buttons as I dont trust it to stay on without these either as it keeps falling of due to an awkwardly placed front button. The finish looks great. Nice and shiny with a glass like quality, I have it in Heritage cherry sunburst and its sexy.

The guitar seems pretty well put together to be honest I have had no major problems up until now when the strap holders have come loose, keep falling out and will not screw back in properly. I am going to try and tackle this problem hopefuly but the main reason of it all is because of the damn weight behind the guitar. It is a little on the heavy side and this causes problems with the strap imo. No flaws other then this everything has worked well, The pick ups could be a tad better though.

realic
    that is so not true. epi. sucks compared to gibson. epi. is just a cheap verson gibson and actually you do earn more respect owning a gibson, because people take you more seriously. people take you more seriously because a gibson les paul is a serious piece of american made musical equiment. not some half ass piece of crap made in korea.
    i guess the beatles werent taken seriously...and many others for that matter (check out epi website for artists)
    Arora
    The Epiphone is a great guitar in it's own respect, but you can't compare it to a Gibson Les Paul. Anybody who's has played with both will tell you there's a HUGE difference.
    otherkid
    Im using this guitar right now untill mi epi les paul 100 is fixed and it is ok but it wont stay in tune, some places on the neck are in tune and others arent. Playing yesterday wen i bent the 2nd string it got caught under a fret. When the switch is in middle prosition only one volume know works, which is fine but it gets annoying to have to guess which one. The only i find good about it is the strap buttons which havent failed. So i dont know if my older bro (the guitar owner) got a dud but im just waiting to get mine fixed.
    wigers will die
    guys guys, im saying that most of the soloing are on higher frets.... which i play, now you can solo on lower frets too depending on your style... sure i do that too some times also depending on the song, but must of the solos are above 12 frets....
    Stop Messin'
    wigers will die wrote: Stop Messin' wrote: dimebag7 wrote: Is it hard to axcess the 15 down frets? Depends on your hand size. I have little hands and i can reach 17 with a stretch. You can put your thumb on the back of the guitar and stretch, or skip a fret or 2 like Gary Moore. I don't like playing past fret 13 or 14, it get's too squealy for my playing. I guess you dont do much soloing
    Why's that? I didn't know it was a MUST to use all of the frets.
    wigers will die
    I guess you dont do much soloing
    axejam123
    ^ true dat. there are very few times while im playing that i have to go past 13 or 14th frets. Epi's are awesome man, no doubt about it. Sure, id rather have a gibson, but i like my epi standard (with duncan pearly gates p-ups) more than a strat or any prs. its perfect for my style.
    meharvan
    Just bought this guitar a couple of weeks ago for 300 pounds. Bought it in a heritage cherry sunburst colour. Great guitar. Low action. Great vintage sounding humbuckers. One of the heaviest guitars i have ever played. i think even if u drop a 100 kilos of weight on it nothin will happen!! yes, its that solid. highly recommended. buy it in heritage cherry sunburst colour only. u'll love it!!! 10 out of 10 for this one...
    Stop Messin'
    dimebag7 wrote: Is it hard to axcess the 15 down frets?
    Stop Messin'
    Epiphone' LP is a great guitar. The only thing i didn't like when i tried it was the neck puck up was too bassy, even for an LP. But for $500-$600 it's great. Don't listen to the people that say Epiphone sucks because they don't. Sure it's gonna sound different when put against a $3000 Gibson. Didn't Chuck Berry(amps) and The Beatles(guitars) use Epiphone back in the day? Hmm, yes i think they did Epiphone=good all around guitar, noit just for beginners, but for pro's too.
    Bloody Headache
    ^ For me personally I find very little difference but the LP is nicer to hold. And for all complaining about the weight, Jimmy Page owned an LP and he is so skinny he is probably incapable of doing one press-up. I find the weight adaquate, no problems.
    ArcherTheVMan
    really honzo you cant say theyre better because its simply a preference of humbuckers to single coils(unless your another person who thinks a guitar slightly heavier than a strat weighs 3 tons).
    ArcherTheVMan
    i love mine, but i wish you'd all stop winging that there too heavy!! you need to do some exercise if you think les pauls are heavy, although, if your the size of angus young then i'll let you off THEY ARE NOT HEAVY. mines in heritage cherry sunburst too and i also got it for 300 bob, mint guitar. i wish they came with a maple top tho like the gibsons or the epi les paul ultra.
    mikecappa
    in my opinion, the guitar you play doesnt or shouldnt have ANYTHING to do with respect for a guitar player. I play a fcukin Peavey Raptor Plus and not to sound like a f*g or nothin but i play better than my buddy whos got a Gibson Melody Maker. To me high quality brand names like Fender, Gibson etc.. just mean you have more money to spend than a person with a Peavey Raptor Plus like me. Maybe the better brand guitar will give you a better sound quality but the playing is good no matter what. If i were to watch 2 people jam, 1 with a Epiphone, and 1 with a Les Paul but the dude with the Epi played better, i would respect with guy with the epi cuz he plays better and thats all that matters, i would respect the other guy cuz he might have a better financial situation or hes a spoiled poser. either way