Les Paul Standard review by Epiphone

• Users' score: 8.3 (1,334 votes)
Epiphone: Les Paul Standard

Purchased from: Musik Produktiv

This guitar suits my style nearly prefectly which is anythig from hard rock (AC/DC) to thrash metal (Metallica). I use it with a Marshall MG15DFX and a Boss MT-2 and its absolutely not noisy.Sometimes the Neck pickup is a litlle to bassy, the bridge pickup is perfect for solos. I mainly use it with both pickups on, because its a full rich sound with enough highs and bass. With dist. it sounds really heavy (like for whom the bell tolls), but also you can get very nice cleans sounds vor stairway to heaven or nothing else matters. Very versatile.

As I said before I play mainly metal and hard rock and this is just perfect for that, but it works well for everything. This is one of the most versatile guitars ever. If I'd have to buy it again, and I would definatly buy it again, it will be stolen because I'll never loose this guitar, it's my precious. I've been playing for 2, 5 years but I think I'm pretty good (a friend of mine plays 7 years and we are at the same level) before I got this I played a stratcopy (55 EUR) and it is really worth it.

This is a tank. It will definetly withstand live playing, I used it twice at 30 minute "concerts", but I'm sure it will last for ever. The strap button were solid but I chnged them with securitv lockes because they were on my strap. The finsh will last, I'm sure. All in all a very solid guitar.

Action was perfectly set up, but I don't know if they set it up in the factory or at the shop. No fret buzzing, not to high, intonation was good. I had nothing to change. The finish is amazing, no flaws on the paintjob, just two dings on the neckbinding and fingerboard.

realic
    in my opinion, the guitar you play doesnt or shouldnt have ANYTHING to do with respect for a guitar player
    agree entirely
    To me high quality brand names like Fender, Gibson etc.. just mean you have more money to spend than a person with a Peavey Raptor Plus like me
    comparing gibson products to epi is one thing but to say that a peavey raptor is in the same league as a Fender MIA Strat or a Gibson les paul are totally different IMO. Though, it does not affect the respect of the player, just the limits. If thats the way you feel im sorry if I offended you in any way. And for the record, and yet again IMO, Gibsons are better quality instraments on average, overall, than Epi, but i definatly do not think the price gap is comprehendable. i've played both. Epis are 90% the instrament (IMO) at 25% the cost (Fact). And with upgrades is compareable. yet again IMO. But, whatever you rock rock it well
    pfricky98
    realic wrote: that is so not true. epi. sucks compared to gibson. epi. is just a cheap verson gibson and actually you do earn more respect owning a gibson, because people take you more seriously. people take you more seriously because a gibson les paul is a serious piece of american made musical equiment. not some half ass piece of crap made in korea. i guess the beatles werent taken seriously...and many others for that matter (check out epi website for artists)
    those are all endorsed artist. there is a difference from being endorsed and actually playing the instruments. disturbed guitarist is listed on washburns site but plays paul reed smith. so to mean being listed on a website mean nothing.
    pfricky98
    i guess the beatles werent taken seriously...and many others for that matter (check out epi website for artists)[/quote] i don't really care if the beatles where on epi. website. disturbs guitars is on washburns website and plays paul reed smith. 3 days graces singer is on schecter website, but records tracks with paul reed smith. atreyu are on esp website, but record with gibson. metallica is on esp website, but i have seen them play gibson. being on a website means nothing to me.
    realic
    alright pal all im saying is if you are more concerned about what you play rather than how you play you should not be allowed to hold a guitar...I admit and admitted earlier gibsons are better instraments but not +2000$ better IMO, and will by no means make u play better. Who is more respected a great guitarist with an epi or a good guitarist with the gibson. What you play doesnt define how good you are and in turn the respect u get.
    there is a difference from being endorsed and actually playing the instruments
    And if you look at the epi site the majority of the artists photos are taken live with various epi's in hand, what more proff do u need that they are actucally playing them. I have nothing more to say...just please accept that i feel gibsons are the better instrament but for me and others (as per this site) feel they are extremely overpriced, while epis give 90% the guitar for 25% the price. stop trying to justify spending 3000$ on a guitar by bashing other's.
    Thunderstrucked
    pfricky98, Metallica plays sometimes gibsons because the song sounds better with a gibson, but theyre using ESP most(95%), and metallica is on ESP website because james and kirk have signature guitars(maybe 9 or 10 different models)
    pfricky98
    realic, i'm not trying to justify over priced guitars. i really have no problem with epi. guitars or the people that play them. i'm trying to help people be more aware of what they are buying. i'm trying to justify investing in music. my dad invested in music in the 60s and bought a 1500 dollar martin acoustic. how much do you think that guitar is worth now? it is worth around 6000 dollars. the great thing about gibson guitars is that they go up in price if kept along time in good condition and a 600 epi. simply won't. so you might be getting a great deal on your epi. standard now, but i wouldn't expect to get much out of it in the long run. as far as artist that play epi. i'm gonna have to agree with you. i was wrong for saying that people can't be respected if they don't play gibson. i really didn't mean for it to come out like that. i was trying to say is that buying an expensive guitar can give someone more motivation to play better, because it makes them feel like they have more at stake if they don't progress. when i bought my first expensive guitar which was a paul reed smith McCarty which i still own my skill as a guitarist improved derasticly. after i got that guitar i felt that if i didn't use this guitar to the fullest i wasted my money so i did. i learned years of theory in about a month and my playing matured after buying that guitar. i really owe it all to buying a real guitar. it really did change my life. so i'm sorry if i sounded like an ass. you can play what you want, but i really recommend owning a guitar that is expensive, because you really do get your moneys worth.
    realic
    now that is a post i agree with pfrick98... though for those on a budget looking for a gibsonesq guitar but dont hav the cash epi is the best choice there is...point is if u hav the money and are looking for an investment, grab the gibson...if not epi is great for the not so rich gibson lovers