Les Paul Standard review by Epiphone

• Users' score: 8.3 (1,334 votes)
Epiphone: Les Paul Standard

Purchased from: Johnny Roadhouse Music

The LP suits my musical style to a T. I play mostly "old-school" types of rock, a bit of modern stuff (Velvet Revolver), and as a result, barely touch the gain. I'm currently using a combination of a Fender Mini-twin (it's punchy) and a Fender Rumble 15 (bass amp) other than that, I've put it through my friends 100-watt, 20 year old Marshall, andit sounds like Page re-incarnate. It gives a very sustainable sound, very warm, and it is extremely versatile, so it covers a range of sounds, old and new.

I play mostly old types of rock, Led Zepp, Van Halen, and a bit of modern stuff, Velvet Revolver, etc. and it suits them all, it's a very versatile guitar. I have been playing about a year now, and it's a very good guitar whethr you're Eddie Van Halen, or some spotty-faced 14-year old like myself. I was given the guitar as a gift, once I'd given up on bass, but there's nothing I'd wished I'd asked before, maybe "can you change the pickups if I get some new ones?". If it were stolen, I would hunt the little scrote down and shove a shotgun barrel down his throat, I would never lose this, I sleep with it sometimes to make sure. But yes, I would get another, maybe the Gibson, if I had enough. I love the fact it's so easy to play, and sounds so great, it leaves all those high gain, power chord Strat ripoffs in the dark. My favourite feature has to be the quality of the thing, even though it's just a Gibson copy. I don't hate anything about the guitar, but I dis-like the original pickups, they aren't much good at high volume levels, but sound great if you get to the top-end of a 30-watt "garage size" amp.

This guitar has lasted me and my hard-rockin' dad 8 tone-rich years now, and by the feel of it, will last another 10, at least 6 more years before the frets need replacing. The hardware seems like it will last forever. The strap buttons are solid, I've only had to tighten them once every six months or so, no need for a straplock at all. I would use this at a gig without a backup, even if I drove over it's flight case before hand. The finish is a little suceptible to cracking, as it's lacquered. In particular, on the back, there are a number of dings and dents where acoustics and the like have been dropped on it. Other than that, the plastic binding is solid, so there's no likelyhood of it wearing off with playing.

The guitar has barely been altered in this area. The pickups were setup perfect, the action meant it's a joy to play, everything was perfect, saddles were fine, frets fine, nothing out of line, tuning pegs held solid in a British summer for 3 days (temperature went from 30 to 15 and it was bangon every time). The only trouble was the plastic top on the pickup selector, but I'm told this is a common problem with LP models, and even Gibsons.

My Les Paul (LP) was made in 1998 in China, it has a 22 fret maple fingerboard, I think they're thin frets, it's a solid-top, and is finished in cherry sunburst and is lacquered. The body style sticks primarily to the original LP shape and is roughly the same thickness. The bridge is as it is on a Gibson LP. The tone pot gives a volume for both pickups, and a kind of "balance" control, and a 3-way selector Switch. The pickups are some cheapo chinese ones, I've changed them for Seymour Duncan '59 models. It's a twin-humbucking guitar though, and is good at room volume levels. Included: Hard case, strap.

realic
    i dunno if this has already been said cuz im lazy and dont wanna read all this shat but when they say mahog/alder, they just meain either or, not both....found this out in sum epi forum...so odds are if ur epi is 10lbs its mostly mahog, if not, u got sum alder there too