Les Paul Standard review by Epiphone

• Users' score: 8.3 (1,334 votes)
Epiphone: Les Paul Standard

I play classic rock and a little bit of hard rock. This suits me perfectly. I can be bustin out the Jimmy Page or Alex Lifeson one minute, and be playing some Coheed And Cambria the next minute. The humbuckers, while not Gibsons, sound quite excellent, and the LP tone is unbelievable. Heavy and full, very soulful distortion. It's not noisy until I turn my amp on full gain, and even then, it's only a little buzz. I use it mostly with my crappy practice amp, but I also have played it through a Marshall stack, and it sounds awesome.

Great guitar for distortion-controlled music, but also sound excellent clean. I've been playing for around 18 months, and have a cheap asian Strat copy, but this thing embarrasses it. If it were stolen or lost, I would hunt down the person that took it and murder them. And if they had destroyed it, I would save up and get another. I love the gorgeous looks and great tone. I played an Epi LP custom, and this thing was easier to play, because it seemed to have a thinner neck. I also played an Gibson LP studio, and this thing more than gives the Gibson a run for it's money, for less than half the price. I wish it had Gibby humbuckers, but I can add those later. All around, great guitar. Good job, Epi.

This guitar will most definitely withstand live playing. I have heard bad things about Epi pickups, and they may need to be replaced in a couple of years, but the rest of the hardware is dead solid. The strap buttons are big enough to make me not worried about the guitar taking a stage dive, and aren't loose or anything. Yes, you can depend on this guitar. I don't play gigs, but I don't think I would need a backup. I have owned this guitar for two months, and still haven't broken a string. And yes, I play it every day, usually around an hour. Finish is excellent, sure to last.

I'm no expert at guitar setup, but it's quite easy to play, and looks quite nice with no flaws whatsoever. The neck pickup was and still is a little low, but I'm going to adjust it soon. The neck is easy to play, and doesn't get sticky, like I expected. I will give it a nine, but like I said, I'm no expert.

I believe my Les Paul Standard is an '06. It is made in China, which is where I think jus about all Epi's are made these days. It has 22 frets on a rosewood fretboard with the mother-of-pearl inlay. Flamed maple top with mahogany body and neck. Tune-O-Matic bridge with Grover tuners, and chrome-covered humbuckers. Wow. Just wow. I had been looking at a new guitar for several months. I had always liked the LP-style, but I don't have the money for a Gibby. This is the next best thing. I have the Heritage Cherry, and it looks so beautiful.

MrCarrot
    I went to the guitar shop a few days ago to try my new guitar. I tried Fender Strat, Fender Tele, Epi SG, and this. I was really surprised. I'm a Fender fan, but this Epiphone just blew it out of the water...