Les Paul Standard review by Epiphone

• Reviewer's score: 4.2 Poor
  • Users' score: 8.3 (1,334 votes)
Epiphone: Les Paul Standard

I play lots of rock and roll music with a cover band, and this guitar is versatile to handle anything (though I like to Switch guitars on stage for songs in other tunings, acoustic stuff, etc). The sound is clean and resonant, and like one reviewer pointed out, this thing holds notes for a very long time. With the mahogany body, the tone is really warm and mellow, which I love. After 6 months, the guitar began to show off some less than pleasing attributes, like the neck pickup becoming the muddiest, tone free piece of crap I've ever heard. More on this below.

Ever since I started playing guitar in 1994, I have always wanted a Les Paul. An Epiphone isn't the same as a Gibson, but it certainly is a worthy substitute. Everything about this guitar screams rock and roll, and I would highly reccommend it to anyone looking to buy a guitar. No matter how many times it gets said around here, an Epiphone is not a Gibson, no matter how badly you want it to be. You get what you pay for, and $500 USD gets you a pretty lousy guitar. I bought a Gibson LPStandard about a year ago, had it set up when I bought it, and have never taken it in for repair work, or had to replace anything on the instrument itself. The quality of Epiphone parts is budget at best; garbage at worst. I would never reccommend buying an Epiphone Les Paul to anyone (at least not the Standard model).

Even though I only bought this guitar in March, it has stood up to a great deal of abuse playing Live and travelling. I would absolutely bring this to a gig without a back up, though I'm to anal retentive to Live that freely. And here is the problem. When new, it seemed the possibilities were boundless. However, this guitar was an unreliable piece of crap. It constantly cut out, the neck pickup was essentially useless, and, until I replaced the bridge with a better quality model, constantly out of tune. Absolutely unacceptable.

My only real beef with this guitar is that the pickup toggle is really noisy. Other than that, it was playable right out of the box (though I fine tuned the set up when I got it home. I like my action just above buzzing). The bookmatched top is a thing of beauty. However within a year, the following happened: needed a replacement bridge, 3 tone/volume controls, output jack, toggle switch. As mentioned above, I replaced the tuning pegs as well.

2004 Korean Les Paul Standard. It has a beautiful translucent red finish, with a book-matched flame maple top and mahogany body. It has a rosewood fingerboard, 22 frets and the Standard Les Paul controls. I replaced the nickel grover tuners that came Standard with Schaller 'green key' tuners to give it a more Vintage look. I also changed out the stock strap pins with locking Schaller pins, 'cause I hate dropping my guitars. It came with a really crappy guitar cable, but the guys at Steve's were nice and gave me a good deal on a leather strap and hardshell case. Overall, pretty Standard, though. It did look nice, though I came to find out that the top was a veneer, not real maple.

Musicislife539
    this thing is just plain AWESOME. i just got one and the humbucker sound is just plain great. i play a veriation of punk, classic rock, and classic punk, and this thing sure as hell get the job done. to anyone that is reading this article, stop stariing at articles and get your ass to guitar center.
    Musicislife539
    vanhalenrule wrote: and im sorry, nut an epiphone will NEVER out do a fender stratocaster, eeppeliteloop
    dude, it just did. my cuzin got a fender strat for $600, its suposed to be a great deal, but i think he just payed 600 well earned dollars getting the word "squier" off his guitar. we both hung out over my grandparents and we both brought ours, and mine dominated paying half the price.
    Sammoo
    I have this guitar and an epiphone sg g-400 and I never play my sg anymore, I don't see why anyone would by a sg over a les paul.
    Eamon Fethers
    feathersmcgraw wrote: Wish everyone would stop whinging about the weight of an Epi...sure, they're heavier than Strats, but if you can't deal with this one, you won't be able to touch a Gibson...
    wat the hell, i've got one of these guitars and it ways nuthin compared 2 my fender jagmaster, that thing is a f***kin tank! Les Pauls rock my socks off!
    j-boy199
    Nerdo-sez-bo wrote: Quality of sound and action does tend to help quite a bit though. Try making hendrix sound good on an Encore!
    lol tried that myself,i got a crap encore. you got more chance of making trumpet sounds on it then getting a good hendrix sound epiphone les paul rocks! i just bought one off the net last night i cant wait for it to arrive!
    Duff B
    "He used to carry his guitar in a gunny sack." "He could play that guitar just like ringing a bell." I'm sure Johnnie B. Good didn't have a flashy new, expensive guitar. The concept here, IMHO, is that his soul and talent were effective in producing star quality results from meager beginnings. If he was a real person who later became a star, maybe he would buy a pile of awesome guitars and s**t. But he'd probably always dream about that bank by the tracks and the sound of the trains, and that special old treasured guitar protected by that funky old gunny sack. All the fancy guitars in the world could never make those remembered sounds. Ask Chuck Berry. See what he says.
    DEK431
    I've owned a 1998 Epiphone LP studio , a 1999 Gibson LP studio, a 2006 Epiphone LP Boneyard {USA Burstbuckers} I now own a 2007 Epiphone LP Standard in ebony, Grover tuners, better pickups than my Epi LP studio and my mate has my LP Boneyard there's little difference in sound. When i bought the Boneyard i compared it to a Gibson LP standard (Bursbuckers) in the store, a small crowd gathered none could tell a difference in sound, sales assistant's included. Planned on upgrading my 2007 LP but decided against it after comparing it to my old Boneyard. Try this, Epi LP average 350 Gibson LP 1399, walk into guitar shop put 1000 in one pocket and 399 in other (50 to cover strap+case) play both and look at the 1000 does Gibson justify it? I made my choice i've spent the money and owned above guitars take it from me there's nothing i could play on Gibson that i cant play on my Epiphone. Also Epiphone's standards have improved along with the competition (mim Fender etc) Hope this helps with your decision.