Les Paul Standard review by Epiphone

• Users' score: 8.3 (1,334 votes)
Epiphone: Les Paul Standard

Purchased from: Long & McQuade

I play everything, and this guitars covers it quite well. I play blues, hard rock, and some of the most obscure metal bands ever, and this handles it quite well. I'm playing through a JCM 900, and a Peavey 6505, and this guitar can do anything. Dark mahogany sound, rich/full/warm tones, and some thick cleans which I love. This guitar can get noisy when I play high gain stuff on the JCM, but that's to be expected when I'm standing quite close to the amp. As I said, this is a very versatile guitar.

Metal, Blues, Jazz, Country, Hard Rock, Shred (not as easy though), etc. Great match for these. If this were stolen, I'd try and find it just for the pure sentimental value it holds, however I'd buy a Gibson after this. If this Epiphone could play so well, the Gibson's definitely play better. I only wish I had an extra $4000 lying around! When I bought it, I compared it to a Dean, and a G-400. I knew this was going to be my guitar from the moment I saw it, love at first sight if you will. It played absolutely brilliant, I played it for 10 seconds, before the guy asked me if I liked it. I said "Oh yeah," I love it. I have a MIJ SSS Strat, a weird little Hamer XP-1 (which is quite nice actually, very middy though), and an Ibanez. All of which are for a different genre and/or tuning. I must say, this is my favourite guitar.

This guitar will and has withstood Live play, the hardware has lasted 11 years and is still in great shape. Strap buttons are a bit small, which is why I got strap locks, but they will hold any strap you put on there solidly. Just don't be swinging it around like a moron, or it will fly off and possibly trash your amp! I would gig without a back up, and have done so, it has not failed me. The finish would Live through a nuclear holocaust.

When I got it, there was a bit of fret buzz, and the stock string were too thin for my liking. So, I put some 10-52's on, and adjusted the action myself, and viola! It was perfect, no fret buzz. The pickups were at preferred height, however, when I got it, there was dented frets. However, seeing as this guitar is now 11 years old, that's to be expected after a while. That's really the only thing that bothers me, this guitar is built like a tank, I've hit it time and time again, and it has not dented. However, it does have some dings from the times I've dropped it on stage, and on cement. Dings give a guitar character though, so I like it.

1996 Korean Made Les Paul Standard, 22 frets, and a 24.75 scale. One word: sof-kingawesome. 22 frets, all mahogany, set neck, plain top. It comes with a pair of two Alcino pick-ups, which give off some of the most diverse tones, I can play everything from B.B. King, to Death, or Children Of Bodom. Passive pick-ups of course, HH configuration as with most Les Paul's. 3 way selector Switch, 2 tone knobs, and 2 volume. Chrome hardware, Heritage Cherry Sunburst, Tune-O-Matic Bridge. Rosewood fretboard, 60s neck, it's a dream! Gibson Deluxe tuners, non-locking keep tune great! Better than the Grovers which came with it in my opinion. Cream binding, but no free case.

Kurai-sama
    The "OMG dis barnd pwns dis brand" "nu, teh otha bradn ish beta" arguments are inconsequential. If we talk about 'own' in the conventional sense, yes, Gibson own Epiphone, since they bought them. As for 'pwn', one can't rightfully say that about most guitars. For example, compare a high-end Ibanez JEM and a homemade log of wood with strings. Yes, you'd prefer the Ibanez, but that DIY guitar would most likely have a unique sound - a merit of the instrument. Epis have their merits by comparison to Gibson (such as a lighter body, due to the sectioning). I'm not saying "omgg epi = gibsn lolol", but balanced debate will get us a lot further than fanboyism. Doesn't Frank Iero use an Elitist LP Standard? I think it's rather awesome as well...Wayne Static used a signature Epiphone as well (a stripped-down Flying V, with one volume knob and a pickup toggle, in basic black).