Les Paul Standard review by Epiphone

• Users' score: 8.3 (1,334 votes)
Epiphone: Les Paul Standard

Purchased from: Long And McQuade

If you want rock, you got it. You want metal? You got it. You want blues? What do you think... Anyhow, this guitar handles almost all music styles I play. It even pulls of grunge fairly well. I run this guitar through a Korg AX1500G Effects Processor and a Fender FM65R Guitar Amplifier. There is barely, and I mean BARELY any feedback and it gives out, on the bridge pickup, a crunchy full sound, and on the neck pickup, it produces a darker, more mellow sound. This thing seems to be able to pull of Pinch Harmonics really well too!

Overall, this guitar is great. It's affordable, reliable and can handle all types of music. If this thing was stolen or lost, I would definitely buy a new one. No questions asked. I compared this to the Fender Stratocaster but the Les Paul drew to me like flies to light. Although, I wish it had a tremolo but, meh not a huge deal.

I've dropped this many times (half the time on hardwood and even cement), scratched it a bunch and almost snapped the neck off and it still hasn't died on me yet. I can safely say that if this thing can stand my abuse, it should last me a long time. The strap buttons are pretty solid and I would think I could use this thing with out a backup and the finish was beautiful and still is.

The action is LOW. A bit too low actually. There is slight fret buzz when you purchase it. You may want to bring the action up a bit or get it set up at a music store. Besides that, the everything else was great. The pickups were great and needed no modifying. The paint was flawless. There were no dents or scratches and nothing was loose.

This guitar is a beauty and an accurate imitation of the real Gibson Les Paul both in looks in sound. 22 medium frets on a rosewood fingerboard topped with Trapezoid inlays, 24.75 inch scale, a set neck made of mahogany, a beautiful maple top, and a Tune-O-Matic bridge and stopbar. The body is of Mahogany as is the neck and the finish is a flamed maple top. The hardware is chrome. The humbuckers are two Passive Alnico Classic Humbuckers. It came with a gig bag, a strap and a cable.

bgarnham
    bgarnham
    SnowMan1 wrote: This guitar is great! It is just as good as a gibson les paul standard. And it's also cool because as epi les paul69 said Frank and also Ray from My Chemical Romance plays epihpone and their one of my favorite bands.
    GAY, GAY, GAY, GAY, GAY, GAY, TOTALLY GAY
    howZz
    Totally wrong my friend... it can get fairly close to lower end gibsons after pickups change and hardwares mod but it can never be compared to high end gibsons. However I do agree it's an awesome guitar for the price, and more money to spend on guitar doesnt mean more respect you would get. Cheers
    James2311
    replace the pickups with hi end gibson ones and u got one AMAZING guitar
    Exactly, you get one amazing guitar, but still nowhere near the price of a real gibson! The Wine Red is HOT
    epi les paul69
    Whatever, my uncle is gay, and he has a sweet Gibson les paul junior
    bgarnham wrote: epi les paul69 wrote: Frank Iero from My Chemical Romance plays one of these things. It's so awesome that a famous guitarist would play an epiphone instead of a Gibson guitar, as he's probably filthy rich. he is gay, all my chemical romance fans are gay, my chemical romance is completly gay, he play the epiphone because gibson aren't sell to gays so he have to buy an epiphone
    saulhudson69er
    pie_man_25
    saulhudson69er wrote: I own a epi les paul standard and a gibson les paul standard faded honey burst, ****en gibsons totally blow away epiphones by far. you kids are talkign about stuff that you dont even know jsut cuz you own a epiphone. its like talking about how one chick is tighter than the other when u havent even ****ed it
    you do have a point, but you need also remember that the epiphone is a budget instrument, and just that, I've played a few epis before, and they are pretty good, I'm a non professional guitarist, but I can tell that the epi pales in comparison to a real gibson, but they make a good start at least. the epi has less attention to detail, but is still a good playing, good sounding guitar.
    saad_nirvana
    i think strats are better because gibsuns can only produce warm sounds on clean...but the strat can produce warm and scratchy sounds this guitar aint good if you play wiht alot of variety