Les Paul Standard review by Epiphone

• Users' score: 8.3 (1,334 votes)
Epiphone: Les Paul Standard

Purchased from: Hames Music

This guitar is probably the best value for your price that you can possibly get. The sound is simply emmaculate. Perfect for every style you could possibly play. I have tried this guitar with many amps, and have not found one that this guitar doesn't sound good with. I use a Marshall MG Zakk Wylde micro stack, and this guitar makes a perfect AC/DC type tone with the distortion at about half. I play mostly classic rock and early metal, and I have found that this guitar is the holy grail for those styles at that incredible price. No noise whatsoever. The seperate tone/volume knobs give you complete tone variety and control. Sounds very close to the Gibson Les Paul.

Overall I would say that this guitar is a perfect match for me. I love playing it. As an intermidiate guitarist that is in a band, I would say that this is a good investment for any beginner, intermidiate, expert or even professional player. You may not have the resale value like a Gibson does, but you'll sure get your money's worth. I love everything about this guitar, and if it were lost or stolen I would be really upset, and I wouldn't buy it again, simply because I don't have the money. I would reccomend this to anyone, and there is nothing missing on this beautiful instrument. Buy it!

The hardware is all built like a tank. I would undoubtedly take this on a gig with no backup. The grovers will keep it in tune, trust me. The finish seems very good and it seems that it will last a long time. This guitar could be taken on the road for a professional tour as far as I'm concerned (that is if the professionals weren't too embarassed to have Epiphone on the headstock).

The finish was amazing. I stared at it for a long time when I bought it. The setup as far as action was terrible, but you can't expect a good factory setup on any guitar. the intonation was perfect right out of the store. Everything is wonderful and works great. One complaint that I do have is that the Rosewood fretboard has a line of lighter colored wood under the low E string. It runs until about the 12th fret. Not a big deal, but it is an imperfection nonetheless.

Not really all that many features on this one, but te ones it does have are excellent! Grover tuners, 2 volume 2 tone knobs (two for each pickup which is great) Alnico Classic humbuckers (wonderful) and 24.75" scale. Set mahogany neck, mahogany/alder body with a maple veneer top. Stopbar tailpiece and tune-o-matic bridge.

MrChris
    Sorry I have played one of these and I could not justify the $3000 price tag of a similar gibson branded model. None of you can tell me the difference in woods, pickups and construction justify the extra $2400. Gibson is a very strong brand and I know they play on this a fair bit. Epi's are probly the most price competitive brand on market