Les Paul Standard review by Epiphone

• Users' score: 8.3 (1,334 votes)
Epiphone: Les Paul Standard

Purchased from: Private seller

Like others have probably said before me, it's effectively a cut down Gibson Les Paul. In other words, while it may not be in the same league as it's older brother, this guitar definitely sounds the business. It's very versatile, I will play anything from Eric Clapton to L'Arc en Ciel. It handles everything pretty well. The pickups are fantastic as well, they really can scream.

I like slow Acoustic pieces, but like most people here I like to crank the amp up from time to time and really let it all out. Like I said before, it's a versitile guitar. I wish I had possibly gone for the Custom or Black Beauty for another 50-100, but that's just me being a snob to be honest. In reality, if I lost this guitar I would replace it in a heartbeat. I have grown attached to it, and I can't see myself playing another guitar. Except maybe it's Gibson predecessor. Why did I choose this guitar? My heroes played Gibsons and Fenders. My budget aimed me more at Epiphone and Squire. Epiphone blow Squire away. It was a simple choice. I loved the design, quality, finish and sound. Ideal for a beginner Who has given themselves a decent budget. The only thing I wish it had was a true Gibson style headstock.

Is it reliable? Put it this way, if this guitar were to knock into something, I would be more worried about what it hit instead of the instrument itself. I am somewhat clumsy, so I have knocked the guitar into walls, desks, chairs etc. The only time something was damaged was when it hit the wall. The guitar was fine, but there is a nice little dent where the HEAD hit the wall! It's a very reliable guitar, it's essentially made through Gibson so you know it's got the seal of quality backing it up. Would I gig with it without a backup? Definitely.

It was already setup when I got it, so I can't comment on it's state right out of the box. The guitar is definitely beautiful, most people will stare in awe when they first see it. Generally beautifully made and finished, everything down to the gleam of the polish is top notch. Only gripe has to be the strings. They had small dents in them, with small signs of oxidation. Had to have all of them replaced, as the guitar was new when I got it it was disappointing to say the least!

HomerSGR
    My top strap-button also fell of! The first day I had it, I went back to the shop and they fixed it there. I love the guitar, and if I buy a new someday I will definitly not go for anything other than a Les Paul-model.
    marxophone
    my girlfriend caught me in my pants with this guitar, a big muff, and a marshall valvestate..... she just couldnt understand. shame.
    evhdawg999
    i just bought this guitar today brand new but the treble won't work when the switch is set to neutral or rhythm it works just fine but on treble i cant hear it at all what might be wrong? (and please don't say that the volume is off lol cuz its not)
    Oblivion_Rps
    i bought this guitar a couple of weeks ago in Tobacco Burst... and I'm really impressed with the quality.. an expensive epiphone (expensive as in its own price range) is better quality than a cheap Gibson (once again, in Gibson's own price range). The original price for my Epi was 500, and the quality is much better than the 600 Gibson Les Paul Studio I played.
    jacobrocker131
    well I bought this for 600 dollars, IN LEFTY. it was in black, but the control knobs were brown, so i replaced them with black speed knobs from an SG. looks AMAZING, i was really impressed by what some control knobs would do. OBVIOUSLY not the best guitar, nor the worst, (i am at near the best) this was my first electric guitar, i play all types of metal, because im a ****ing metalhead. this is very nice, i can get some nice zeppelin tones to some slayer or lamb of god sounds... i wasnt impressed by the pickups though. not so hot. i play it threw a line 6 spider 3, sounds amazing. only problem is that people say epi's are junk, so i really wish epi's would step up in quality and compete with other good companies.
    ..::ALEX::..
    Avery solid guitar. even though you would think that just because it's an epiphone it's not worth anything. well, honestly, if you taped up the headstock to hide the logo, people would mistake for it's Gibson counterpart. And for the price, it's a workhorse. The finish is enough to bring you to your knee's. I purchased th eblue one, and the color is like melted chocolate. honestly, I would say that it's better to have an expensive epi, than a cheap Gibson. So enjoy this guitar, it's a keeper. definitely the new coronet.