Les Paul Standard review by Epiphone

• Users' score: 8.3 (1,334 votes)
Epiphone: Les Paul Standard

Price paid: C$ 499.99

Purchased from: Steve's Music Store

This guitar was perfect for mostly anykind of style. The Epiphone LP could do quick metal riffs, some hard rock stuff, blues (my style) and a bunch of other stuff. I'm using a Marshall Master Lead Combo. The guitar wasn't noisy at all. The only thing that bothered me at first was when the guitar had a ton of string buzz once I brought it home. I just took of the strings, reset the Tune-O-Matic bridge the way I like it and I did my own setup. The I put on some Brand New Gibson Brite Wires .10 and it made the guitar perfection.

I play blues, rock, old Elvis stuff and this guitar was perfect. Some of my friends play metal stuff and the guitar worked well and had a nice crunchy sound with a Boss Distortion pedal. If it were stolen, I would buy it again, totaly. I chose the Epiphone because every year, the Gibson's go even more expensive. I own a Gibson Les Paul Studio (Alpine White), an Epiphone 1966 G-400 (SG). a Gibson SG Special and a Fender Stratocaster. The Epi was really good compared to my Fender, and it whipped by in sound quality.

This guitar was really good while playing Live. The only thing was that the top of the guitar would rub into your ribs, so I took some really soft seat foam and used paintion taped to tape the foam on. Do not use any other type of tape. It will ruin your LP). The Epi is my backup for my Gibson LP Studio). The finish is very well done and it won't come off with a little bit of pressure. It takes a gun to take off the paint!

The guitar wasn't set up well when I bought it. The pickups were adjusted okay for what I play. The top was perfectly bookmatched and the bridge was also amazingly done with pride. The only thing that was loose when I bought it was the bridge pickup tone control. The screws for the pickup were a little messy, but when on stage, you could even notice the screws!

The Epiphone Les Paul Standard was a wonderful purchase for me to make. I recently bought this guitar in February of '08. Everyone thinks that Epiphone's aren't that good because they are made in China, but Epiphones make some pretty good guitar. 22 frets made for quite a bit of playing space with the added cutaway, rosewood neck and trapazoid's in the neck looked cool. I believe the guitar is a laminated top. The guitar felt great overall. The biutiful Sunburst finish added a very warm, thoughtful look to the guitar. The humbuckers worked great and the guitar had nice harmonic responce. 3-way selector Switch, 2 volume, 2 tone added a very nice touch to the guitar, letting you turn on and off your volume on stage. The two pickups were pretty hot (NOT AS HOT A THE ORIGINAL Gibson Les Paul Standard) and worked well. The guitar did not come with a case but a hard case frome Steve's Music was about 80 bucks.