Les Paul Standard review by Epiphone

• Users' score: 8.3 (1,334 votes)
Epiphone: Les Paul Standard

sound can range from a clean open jazz sound, to a crunchy warm blues tone, my personal favourite though is the rough rock sound generated by the guitar effects, as said, my sound is that of the rough classic rock genre. I use a Marshall Mg at home but when I play gigs I use the Marshall Vintage series cab, the overdrive mixed with half bass and half tone compliments the treble of the Les Paul greatly, I sometimes add a few pedals, the main 1 is a J.D. cry baby, I do use some of the DigiTech and Boss pedals but I find they are bought by preferance.

As I'm only 16 and have been for all of 6 months, I am obviously not the most clued up, or the fountain of all knowledge when it comes to guitars, however I taught myself to play at the age of 7, at the age 9 I picked up the Epiphone les paul and have never looked back. I own a Fender Strat and a Washburn 12 string acoustic, I also have an Ovation semi-acoustic, which if you like sum serious acoustic love now and again, is the way to go. If I lost my L P I would probably use the Strat, but I really would consider a Gibson Standard, phoaw! Anyone who has ever played 1 of those knows that feeling.

I have been gigging for about a year and my Les Paul seems indestructable, it has a few knocks but that doesn't affect the sound, it perfroms every time and the quality never fades. The hardware hasn't tarnished and they are smoothly turned, the strap buttons are mentioned above, but agin I can't say that happens to all of them, if I needed a back up I would use this time and time again, as said it's reliable and like a best mate, always there when you need him/her. The finish is still as emmaculate today as it was when I first set eyes upon it and I have no doubt it will last forever.

The setup of Les Pauls is mostly the same, the action is tight and low yet not too low to allow for high bends, I prefer my action lower as I use both hands to pick of the strings, I aslo like the height of the pickups which have not been changed, they allow good sound and tone without much effort or hard work. The only annoyance's that you would find are the occasional loose screw causing an un-attractive buzz after every low note, the buckle for the strap is also an issue on mine as recently whilst rehearsing it decided to pull the thread out of the wood, if that does happen to yours then I suggest a quick fix as it's something that doesnt't require much attention but plays a key role, that is if you ever want to play standing up again!

Was made in 1995 imported from America, you can tell because it's a lot heavier than it's chinese cousins, Standard 23 fret guitar, personal opinion says that 21 is the maximum you should play it at, unless you enjoy ultrasonic. Laminated Cherry burst top single cutaway mahogany, the fingerboard is rosewood with rectangular marble inlays, Standard Les Paul style which to me is 1 of the bes, has nickel hardware an active electronics system, 3-way tone and volume, which can sometimes be too little in terms of finding your own style, I bought my own hard case from P.M.T.

g-griezejs
    bgarnham wrote: SnowMan1 wrote: This guitar is great! It is just as good as a gibson les paul standard. And it's also cool because as epi les paul69 said Frank and also Ray from My Chemical Romance plays epihpone and their one of my favorite bands. GAY, GAY, GAY, GAY, GAY, GAY, TOTALLY GAY
    What, is that what you tell yourself in your mirror with pink binding?
    g-griezejs
    vanhalenrule wrote: and im sorry, nut an epiphone will NEVER out do a fender stratocaster, eeppeliteloop
    More a question of taste but in my opinion anything with 3 singlecoils bites.. Humbuckers rule baby!!
    g-griezejs
    evhdawg999 wrote: i just bought this guitar today brand new but the treble won't work when the switch is set to neutral or rhythm it works just fine but on treble i cant hear it at all what might be wrong? (and please don't say that the volume is off lol cuz its not)
    And the tone knobs, were they up? My friend guitar has an interesting thing to it, you change the volume not with the volume knobs, but with the tone knobs what's up with that?? Damn did everybody leave this discussion? 3 comments in a row.. come on
    BloodHorn
    IS Epiphone a trustable Brand??? i own a Squire Strat and I was wonderin since squire is by Fender, and im not very impressed by the overall sound i was wondering if Epiphone was the same way??
    Devil Biscuit
    a squire was my first guitar , like u some ppl find them quite dissapointing but for the price tag i dnt reli think u can complain, Epiphone are different , with them u get a gibson without the logo , there great and are preaty much the same thing, u wuldnt b dissapointed, i wasnt i luv my Les Paul ! !