Les Paul Standard review by Epiphone

• Users' score: 8.3 (1,334 votes)
Epiphone: Les Paul Standard

Price paid: A$ 900

I bought this guitar two years ago when I was really into bands like the Strokes and with my Les Paul and Fender amp I can get a great sound for that style. My rig is as follows: Epiphone Les Paul Standard (hoping to add an American Strat here soon) >> Big Muff Pi USA >> Homemade Tubescreamer (my friend makes them. They're better than any tubescreamer I've ever heard, and I've heard a few) >> Boss DS-1 >> Phase 90 >> Vox V847A Wah (want to change that to a 535Q Crybaby) >> Boss CE-20 >> Boss DD-7 (soon to add DD-20 here) >> Danelectro Reel Tape Echo >> EHX Holy Grail Reverb >> Fender FM 212R solid State Amplifier (want to change to Marshall Tube amp). It's using active (humbucker) pickups so if you're using a noisy amp or a noisy fx unit, this guitar will make the hum as low as possible. It has a great sound for all kinds of punk, rock, blues and plays well on most other styles.

These days I'm more into funk, indy, prog rock but still a lot of rock and punk, so this guitar does well, but I'm missing a Strat for a John Frusciante type sound. I've been playing for about six years, but the first few were slow and I was poor so this was my first real guitar (the previous one was a Samick Strat and it sucked), so it's really good for intermediate players, and even a virtuoso would have nothing really to complain about, though there are better guitars out there to be had. The only thing I wish I had asked when I bought it was: "why does it come in an Ibanez Box with an Ibanez Manual?" but hey whatever. If it were stolen or lost I would probably buy a Strat for my next guitar, but after that I'd go straight back to the Les Paul cos it has such a great rock sound. I love a lot and hate very lttle about this guitar. The only thing I'd complain about is that for a lot of The Music I'm playing these days the humbuckers are too fat. I compared this to a bunch of other Epiphone Les Pauls in the shop and they were all good, but what worked for me with this one was that it was simple. The rest all had really flashy flamed finishes and stuff like that, but I liked just the plain black finish. For me it made it stand out from all the more noticable ones. Anything I wish it had? I wish I had a Strat, but I wouldn't trade it for one.

Its a Les Paul. it's like the truck of the guitar world, it's solid it's heavy and indestrucktable. Not that I don't take good care of it. I won't wear a belt when I'm playing so it doesn't get scratched. it's great for live playing, unless you're playing a long set cos it's pretty heavy. The hardware is all chrome so it doesn't rust (which is a must living near the beach), the strap buttons were solid, but I replaced them with Schecter strap locks. I would use this guitar anywhere it's that solid and versatile, the only thing you can't get is an authentic single coil/strat sound. The only thing missing from my rig really is a Strat for that single coil sound and a Marshall tube amp. The finish is awesome, I've had it for two years and it barely has a scratch

The guitar came pretty well set up out of the factory. The pickups and the action were both set really well which is what drew me to this guitar. All seemed to me to be done really well with it. After a couple of weeks however I noticed 2 things: it had some fret buzz from a high 17th fret and only a huge amount of changing the action and bridge height could stop it, but I had the fret filed down and now it's perfect, and when I used gauge 9 strings the high E string kept snapping. It turned out to be a burr on the bridge saddle, but again a little filing and it was all fixed. So none of the stuff I had to do cost me anything. My local music shop's luthier guy did it for free and it took about 5 mins

This is a 2005 Epiphone Standard Les Paul made in Japan. It has 22 frets at a 24.75" scale with a 1.68" nut width, a rosewood fretboard with trapezoid inlays and non-locking grover tuners on a set mahogany neck. It has a Flame maple top on a Mahogany body with an Ebony finish, and a Stop-bar Style bridge. It has two active Alnico V pickups, one at the neck and one at the bridge, with two volume controls (vol for neck pickup, and vol for bridge pickup), and two tone controls, as well as a 3-way pickup selector.

mosherhamish
    epi les paul69 wrote: Frank Iero from My Chemical Romance plays one of these things. It's so awesome that a famous guitarist would play an epiphone instead of a Gibson guitar, as he's probably filthy rich.
    they dont play epi anymore though - they now use gibson (and 50% of the tym they would smash there epis)
    sexualbreakfast
    i cant believe the first review says its the same thing for less, theres nothing else like a real les paul, epiphones blow.
    Bebbo
    great guitar but it still hasn't got the Gibson mark on its head...
    jerry666
    I agree, the Gibson's are a superior guitar. Unfortunately, most of us on here don't have two grand for a real Les Paul. I think the Epi's, for the cost, offer a pretty good alternative. I paid $400 for mine last year at the Hollywood Guitar Center while on holidays, and think it's been worth every penny. Saying that, can't wait until the day I have the money to buy a Gibson Les Paul or SG.
    Jdwcomic
    Quinj wrote: And as for all these Gibson snobs, you can go **** right off. Its not just the make of guitar that makes the player, its the ability to play well.
    I'm not a snob I just prefer a good sound over a cheap price. Epi's are made with lower quality materials giving them a lower quailty sound no thanks
    Brunorocks
    I had one of these for a couple of years and while it was an ok guitar for the 25.00 I paid for it at a yardsale it certainly has little in common with my Gibson. The main thing that makes a gibson a gibson is the maple cap. Without that piece of wood the body loses all of its sustain. The epiphone pickups I found to be terrible sounding and squealy. If you replace them this is a pretty good axe but for the extra 250 bucks a good set of pickups will set you back you can get a hell of a lot more guitar for your money. The faded series pauls while lacking a maple cap at least have decent electronics. You do know that all of the "figured" finishes on the epi's are fake right? Gibsons are a far better value due to the fact that they hold on to most of thier value. This guitar would be ok for a beginner or someone who played music where tone didn't matter but any serious player would very soon become aware of its limitations. I have been working in the retail instrument business for years and believe me the quality of the entire epiphone line has been taking a big time downward trend recently. I would never for any reason pay even half of the normal price for one of these things
    Quinj
    i love this guitar, its ****ing awesome. I play this through a Laney GT100 head and a Marshall 1960 cab. along with a couple of added effects. And i can safely say, On the price alone. That this guitar is better then a Gibson. Now dont get me wrong, Gibsons are fantastic Guitars, but they are not worth the 2000+ for them. The sustain and tone from a Epiphone is amazing, almost as good as the Gibsons. Id much rather spend 400 on a Epiphone then 3400 on a Gibson. And as for all these Gibson snobs, you can go **** right off. Its not just the make of guitar that makes the player, its the ability to play well. You know, im gonna review one myself soon.
    mosherhamish
    realic wrote: alright pal all im saying is if you are more concerned about what you play rather than how you play you should not be allowed to hold a guitar...I admit and admitted earlier gibsons are better instraments but not +2000$ better IMO, and will by no means make u play better. Who is more respected a great guitarist with an epi or a good guitarist with the gibson. What you play doesnt define how good you are and in turn the respect u get. there is a difference from being endorsed and actually playing the instruments And if you look at the epi site the majority of the artists photos are taken live with various epi's in hand, what more proff do u need that they are actucally playing them. I have nothing more to say...just please accept that i feel gibsons are the better instrament but for me and others (as per this site) feel they are extremely overpriced, while epis give 90% the guitar for 25% the price. stop trying to justify spending 3000$ on a guitar by bashing other's.
    donno if any of you know this but before gibson owned epi they actually made custom made guitars. .
    leony03
    IS Epiphone a trustable Brand??? i own a Squire Strat and I was wonderin since squire is by Fender, and im not very impressed by the overall sound i was wondering if Epiphone was the same way?? Epiphone is owned by Gibson now so i would say so. i have one and nothing has gone wrong with it for 4 years. absolutely nothing
    appetite4gnr
    Anjohl wrote: Epiphone's are meant for people who want the look of a particular guitar without the craftsmanship or the sound of the guitar. IE, the Epi LP or SG will LOOK like the guitar you want, but won't sound or FEEL like it. Sure, you can switch out the pups for a better set, but the craftsmanship is still terrible, plus, you know, you are supporting china's rise to dominant superpower status.
    I happen to love my G400. And no, not because it looks like an SG. It sounds, plays, and feels exactly the way I want it to. which is the reason I bought it. Sure, if I had a couple thousand $$$ floating around, I'd get a gibson, but to me, It's just not practical. I gig regularly, and to risk breaking a Gibson doesn't make sense to me.(I've gigged with my epi for 4 years now, and it hasn't let me down yet.)
    goblin_king14
    Whoever sets these things up really needs to double-check their facts. First of all, there is the matter of the top. Epiphone has two separate models that they fancy calling "Plain-top" and "Plus-top". If it has a flamed maple top, that'd make it plus-top. Second is the matter of the body wood. Where the hell did this /alder business happen? Check Musician's Friend or the Epiphone website. There's no /alder. It's solid Mahogany on every one of these guitars. And where the details aren't wrong, they're vague. I think it's worth mentioning that the humbuckers are Alnico Classic humbuckers. Overall, the featured review sounds like it was written by a teenager who got it as a first guitar and was so starstruck by it that they went out and wrote a review the next day--not so much like it was written by someone who knows guitars.
    whitebluesboy
    Epiphone Les Paul's sound great. I will never sell mine. Besides everyone knows its the indian not the arrow.
    rocnroll4evr93
    saad_nirvana wrote: i think strats are better because gibsuns can only produce warm sounds on clean...but the strat can produce warm and scratchy sounds this guitar aint good if you play wiht alot of variety
    dude. all i have to say is tht you are an idiot. i hav one of these and i can play anything from clean, to absolute metal and it always sounds great
    rocnroll4evr93
    epis r way underrated. they're tough, and they sound and play close to a gibson. although, if you can afford one, buy the gibson.
    Zangetsu 101
    Did Mr Epaminondas give you nightmares as a kid? The craftmanship is not terrible.
    munkyRobb
    ive had this guitar for nearly a year now great guitar lovely sound but theres loads of buzz that i cant get rid of and the headstocks rediculously weak it fell off my guitar stand and hit eh wall and crack teh neck basically all teh way thro and its a solid body so i cant just change the neck ffs!! but i got an ibanez that rules to replace it
    Anjohl
    up-teh-irons
    I own a Epiphone limited edition Standard and a Gibson les paul standard. I must say the Epiphone is a very well made guitar, tho it doesnt have the unique sound of a Gibson when u play with drive settings. The Epiphone les paul is the best guitar on the market in bang for buck. Its got good sustain and deep tone.