Les Paul Standard review by Epiphone

• Users' score: 8.3 (1,334 votes)
Epiphone: Les Paul Standard

I usually play anything from The Offspring to Iron Maiden, to Atreyu and Bullet for My valentine, and this guitar takes it extremely well. I'm using a Zoom GFX box with it, and a Kustom amp (not sure what type, since it doesn't say on it, it's old as hell, so). It's not really noisy, doesn't have a whole lot of buzz when you're not playing, and it has amazing tone. The lead work I do now is so crisp and clear, and so full, even way up on the neck. It got a good versatility, I'd say, based on the many different styles of music I can play with it, and have it sound so close to the real thing.

I like to play metal of all kind, occasionally some punk rock, but mostly metal. And this guitar can handle anything really, with the proper set-up of effects paired with it, I think you could get this guitar to sound any way you want. I think it's a perfect match for me on all counts. I've been playing for almost 4 years, and I have a Washburn X-Series, and my effects box (Zoom GFX-1). There really isn't a whole lot I didn't ask before I bought this guitar, so I have no regrets about it what'soever.

I think this guitar would do just fine in a Live performance. The hardware seems to be doing great, and I know the strap buttons are solid, since I put a strap lock on the buttons, since I was having trouble standing, and having the guitar stay on the strap. I would definitely use this guitar on a gig, without a backup, I believe it's ready top handle anything I throw at it. The finish is just fine. It's still extremely shiny, and doesn't seem to have any flaws in that department.

The set-up overall was good, I mean, I bought it used from a guy who liked to work on it a lot, so the action was good, and the pickups are just awesome. The only real flaws it has are that the screws holding the pickups in seem a bit rusted, and some of them are going to be near-impossible to remove, and one of the tuners broke, so I have a random Ibanez tuner on it (it's what the guy said) and one of the knobs he put on is missing, but for the price and the sound, those are minor flaws to me.

I'm not sure about a whole lot of this guitar, ie. where it was made or any of that, and to be honest, I'm not even 100% it's a Les Paul Standard, since the piece that covers the neck adjustment is gone. There are 21 frets on this guitar, not sure of the type of wood in the neck or body. It has a 3-way pickup Switch and 4 control knobs: 2 for volume and 2 for tone. I know it has custom pickups, can't exactly remember what the neck pickups are, but the other set is a Seymour Duncan Invader. It has locking tuners, planet waves. I really just bought it from this guy, case included, and that was it. The guitar and the case. He put the tuners and the pickups in it before I bought it.

im_bored
    honestly one of the worst guitars ive played neck is too fat, weighs too much, way too muddy, "mahogany/alder"... i've played 150 dollar guitars that are much nicer
    rcdc.2
    Had my squier strat for 2 days and couldn't stand it...went to the music store and returned it and now i got a les paul standard and FK! i love it!