Les Paul Standard review by Epiphone

• Users' score: 8.3 (1,334 votes)
Epiphone: Les Paul Standard

Purchased from: Daddy's Junky Music

This guitar doesn't do metal too well, because the pickups are muddy. I use it straight into a Marshall VS30R, and it sounds good considering the amp. It's not noisy at all. LP's are one of the most versatile guitars, only surpassed by the Stratocaster because it has a tremolo system, and I have no problems getting a decent sound out of it. I'll bet that the covers are the big tone(and brightness) - sucker here.

If this guitar were stolen, I'd hunt the guy down, get my guitar, and beat HIM to unconsiousness with it. I almost got a Schecter C-1 over this, but I didn't, because the Les Paul has a certain charm to it. I really like the feel of the guitar, but I don't really like the pickups (again, it may just be the cover). The only thing I really wish it had would be a bone or Tusq nut instead of a plastic one.

I think this guitar would withstand live playing quite well. The only mod I've done so far is change out the tiny strap buttons for some straplocks, but otherwise it's totally stock, and perfectly OK. I wouldn't gig without a backup but that's just a rule of the trade. The finish will probably last.

The guitar was set up surprisingly well at the factory, with the only problems being that the bridge was flexed in, and a tall fret. That wasn't a problem for me, since I had an extra bridge from my G-310 which has broken down (non reinforced basswood necks for the loss). The pickups weren't adjusted well, but that's about 4 turns of a screw to fix. There were a couple of finish flaws, but unless you're looking for them, you can't see them.

This guitar was made in December of '06 in the Unsung China factory. Well, it's the normal 2vol, 2tone, 3way, 2 humbucker LP. Mahogany body and neck, plain maple veneer top, rosewood F/B. It has a tune-o-matic/stopbar bridge, and Grover tuners. The pickups are Epiphone's AlNiCo Classics, they're OK, but are a bit muddy. This may be due to the covers.

nickle_strings
    D3athM4gnetic19
    nickle_strings wrote: i have one of these and i mostly play hard rock to blues and i want to replace the pickups what should i use?
    Hmmm..i play metal and i actually switched out to EMG's and they're amazing, i think you would do well with seymour duncans those are pretty nice too
    geochronis
    kick ass guitar!!!. just bought it. removed the pickguard-lookes nicer definetly buy it