Les Paul Standard review by Epiphone

• Users' score: 8.3 (1,334 votes)
Epiphone: Les Paul Standard

The solid mahogany body provides a deep, rich sound that, paired with heavy distortion, is perfect for metal or hard rock. It's not noisy at all, no buzzing or noise like with strats. Right now I'm running it through a Boss MT-2 Metal Zone pedal into a Marshall Amp and it's a dream. The two pickups do give completely different sounds, so you can play anything from jazz to metal solos at the flip of a switch.

I already mentioned that I play metal, and the sound matches well. Also already mentioned that I play it through a Marshall amp, you can see it on my profile. I would probably buy this guitar again if it were lost or stolen. It's been a really good guitar, and it's lasted through all kinds of abuse. The reason that I bought this guitar is that I fell in love with it. I played pretty much every other guitar in the store, and I just kept coming back to this one. It felt right, that's the only way I can describe it. The only thing I wish it had is an EMG 81/85 setup but I'll probably fix that soon.

This guitar WILL withstand Live playing. I've dropped this guitar, had the strap pop off, knocked it into walls, etc and it's still going strong. When the strap popped off (cuz I had a cheapo strap and it broke, the guitar's heavy, you need something strong) It fell about 3 feet to the tile floor and now it has a 2 inch dent in the corner with a little missing finish, but... the guitar stayed in tune, nothing functional was damaged, and where the dent is, you can't even see it unless you crouch beside me and look. So, you could probably throw this thing out of a moving truck on the highway and it still be playable, though I'm not suggesting it unless you like that beat up look.

When I bought the guitar from guitar center, I found the action to be slightly too high for my taste. All I did was go home and lower it a tad. The pickups needed no adjusting at all. The finish and all hardware was in perfect condition, even though it was a floor model.

I bought this guitar about 3 years ago from guitar center in Vintage sunburst with a case (extra $120). It's pretty much a typical Les Paul, single cutaway provides so so access to the upper frets (the heel gets in the way), Grover Tuners keep in tune for the most part. The tune-o-matic bridge provides easy adjustment so you can raise/lower the action and pretty much whatever else you want to do to it. It comes Standard with two volume nobs, two tone nobs, and a 3 way pickup selector. Unfortunately with the Standard pickups, it doesn't really make much of a difference in sound if you turn the tone nobs up or down. I've heard that with different pickups that there's a huge difference so I'll have to put some EMGs in and see.

shaunems
    Hmmm..i play metal and i actually switched out to EMG's and they're amazing, i think you would do well with seymour duncans those are pretty nice too[/quote] yea emg's are great for metal but whatever guitar you put them in theres no variety in sounds. Thats why seymour duncans are so good they adjust to the guitar.
    yykshkdrk
    lett see amezing guitar great sound when i try this guitar at the first time i think that i fall inlove
    liam2309
    Hmmmmm..... Epi Les Paul Standard or Epi SG G400.....hmmmmm..... any suggestions on which 1 I should get?????