Les Paul Standard review by Epiphone

• Users' score: 8.3 (1,334 votes)
Epiphone: Les Paul Standard

I think this guitar suits many styles of playing as well as my own style of classic rock including blues and country. I am currently using a Zoom G1X with it and it is ok. I personally prefer playing it plainly on the amp which is a Kustom tube amp. The Epiphone LP can make a variety of sounds and is bright and has a rich sustain.

I have said before I play classic rock. You will notice many 70's and 80's rock guitarists use an LP of some kind and this guitar is almost the same guitar as the Gibson version. In fact the tuning stabability is better on the Epiphone. If it were stolen or lost I would get another one but maybe in a sunburst colour. The other differences between this and the Gibson is the hardware material is chrome as oppose to nickel or gold and the Gibson would have a better grade of wood. If only it had a tremelo arm then it would be the only guitar I would ever need.

The Epiphone LP is a very durable & reliable guitar. If you get one with gold hardware it tends to tarnish however. The strap buttons are very solid and I would definitely play Live with it. I would be so confident of this guitar live that I wouldn't bring a back-up. Though it may be necessary to bring one if I were to play in different tunings. The finish seems solid and looks to last a very long time.

This guitar is set up almost perfectly at the factory. The action was good and nothing was rattling about in there (thank goodness! ). However my guitar came with a slight bend in one of the strings causing just one dead note. So my advice to you is to change the strings ASAP and if that doesn't work sometimes the areas where the strings pass through the nut needs sanded (get an expert to help with this! ). Other than that though it's all perfect.

Some of the nicer features of this guitar are the number of frets (22), The mahogany body and and maple neck with rosewood fingerboard. The Tune-O-Matic bridge is nice too. There are two volume and tone controls and a 3-way pickup selecter. The pick-ups on this guitar are just regular P-90's but should be changed for some styles of music. The finish on mine is ebony but can vary depending on the money you spend. It has a set-in neck The only things I don't like are the chrome pickups and hardware.

ducati900fe081
    I have a Korean LP Standard from 1998, I like it but it does go out of tune. The thing I can't believe no one has mentioned is the huge number of fakes. People like im_bored might have played a fake. Anyone who has the money and is about to buy an epi needs to read this thread, ESPECIALLY if they are using ebay. http://www.mylespaul.com/forums/epiphone... 12286-fake-epiphone-thread.html
    ducati900fe081
    OK the site keeps breaking the link, just eliminate the space between the slash and the 12286 "epiphone-les-pauls/12286-fake" and it will work
    hunter73135
    Being lefty with limited choices ,I find the Epi LP standard an outstanding choice as long as it feels good in your hands. IMHO with the exception of some archtop models there isn't a more versatile electric for more genre's than a L.P. and the Epi L.P. doesn that for those on a budget.
    l0rd0ct0d0rk
    I'd buy one if it had cream binding like the classic gibson les pauls. With all due respect to epiphone, they just don't look the same as a gibson without the cream binding of a gibson les paul, but hey, that's just my opinion.
    hamsta_hobo
    so good for the price, easily giggable, i have access to the studio one of these as a backup, if only they had a bolt on neck :-(
    devil3062
    pls could ne1 comment on a suitable 15w practice amp for the les paul m gonna get tonight..i have looked everywhere on net bout reviews nd it just confused me more!so today i went to the shop to try a few that i have leaned towards..i love classic rock, zep, floyd, purple n all..i tried the line 6 spider 3,marshall dfx nd roland 30..somehow i enjoyed the sound of marshall more regardless the brand name!nd apparently ppl reviewed it to be a shit amp on this website.. pls help me! thnx a lot