Les Paul Standard review by Epiphone

• Users' score: 8.3 (1,334 votes)
Epiphone: Les Paul Standard

Purchased from: Musicians Friend

I play mostly metal and its subgenres, emo, alternative, as well as some jazz and blues, and this guitar fits my styles perfectly. Currently, I am using a Boss Distortion DS-1 and a classic Dunlop Crybaby, and they compliment the sound of the clean guitar very well. The guitar provides a rich, warm tone. This guitar, overall, has proven that the Les Paul can span many genres and still sound like it was made for that particular sound.

Overall the Epiphone Les Paul Standard is a good match for my playing styles (mentioned above). I have been playing for over 3 years now and I currently own a Peavy Vyper 15w Modeling amp, a Gibson Signature Series G-400, a Washburn Acoustic guitar, the Les Paul I am reviewing, and the 2 effects mentioned above. There is really nothing I would have asked before purchasing this product, except "is there anywhere that I could find a better deal on this piece of equipment?". If this guitar was stolen, I would definitely buy it again, but I would also look at other products to keep my options open. I love the fact that the upper frets are very accessible and the tone it delivers is perfect for nearly every style. What I hate about it is that the guitar slips out of tune fast when tuned down to drop D. My favorite feature is the accessibility of the high frets. I compared it to a similar SG model, and decided on this one because I prefer the Les Paul body shape as well as the Gibson pickups. The only thing I wish this guitar had was a pair of EMG pickups.

This guitar will definitely last performing Live, with the hardware being extremely durable and the strap buttons being solid. The guitar is dependable and I could play a show without a backup, however it is never smart to play a show without at least 1 backup in case your guitar slips out of tune, you break a string, or you need a different tuning and don't want to detune over and over. The finish does seem like it will last over time.

The is guitar was set up almost perfectly in-factory, the only problem being the bridge needed to be set to reduce hum. The pickups were routed and adjusted to meet the highest of Epiphone quality. The Bride was properly routed, but needed height adjusting and the top was properly bookmatched. There were not visible or audiable flaws when removed from the box, as well as playnig it now, only a few months later.

made in 2008, this guitar is a Standard 22 inch fret with a 24-3/4" scale with 1-11/16" frets. The neck is Set Mahogany, slim-tapered design with a rosewood fingerboard and mother-of-pearl trapezoid inlays. The body is a Les Paul style made of Mahogany with maple veneer over the carved top, solid finish, Ebony in this case. The bridge is a LockTone Tune-O-Matic style. The pickups are Gibson Covered Humbuckers with active electronics. The controls given are a single 3-way selector with 4 knobs, 2 for volume and tone of the neck pickup and 2 for volume and tone of the bridge pickup.

sungjae
    SWEAR TO GOD. DO NOT BUY THIS GUITAR.. I READ THE REVIEWS AND EVERYTHING..SO I BOUGHT ONE AT BEST BUY. AYE? PAID ABOUT $500.. FIRTST ONE I BOUGHT HAD A CRACK ON THE BACK OF THE GUITAR.. THERE WERE SOME SCRATCHES.. I GOT PISSED AND WENT THERE TO GET EXCHANGED. THEY GAVE ME BRAND NEW ONE.. IN THE BOX, LIKE STRAIGHT UP NEW ONE.. CAME HOME AND I EXAMINED IT.. THERE WAS A HUGE CRACK ON THE GUITAR. I WENT THERE AGAIN, AND THEY SAID THE NECK WAS ABOUT TO GET BROKEN..THEY SAID THIS CRACK IS FAR MORE SERIOUS THAN THE FIRST ONE.. GUESS WHAT I DID? I GOT A REFUND... DUDES.. IF YOU CAN'T AFFORD GIBSON LES PAUL.. I RECOMMEND YOU TO GET A JOB SAVE SOME MONEY, AND BUY GIBSON ONE...I MEAN WHAT THE FXXK.. I AM VERY VERY VERY DISAPPOINTED..EPIPHONE..WTF.. I MEAN WHAT THE HELL THE EXAMINERES ARE FOR? I COULD FIND A CRACK IN LIKE 20 SECONDS.. LIKE gerrywm SAID,, DO NOT BELIEVE THESE REVIEWS.. IT'S MADE IN FXXKING CHINA ANYWAY. FUCK EPIPHONE DUDE.
    Viper_93
    Sungjae.....that was quite unfortunate :O But don't be so quick to blame epiphone....maybe the batch was damaged in delivery ?? I must say that i am thrilled with my epi les paul standard....plays like a dream.....came set up quite well....i admit that i will switch out the bridge pup (bit weak compared to the neck pup in my opinion...) But if you play around with the volume and tone nobs, by god, what a sound D I'd recommend this guitar to anyone. Yes a gibson les paul is better (drools xD), but this is one hell of a good alternative to get you started (btw, i'm not a noob harping on about his new guitar....i've had this guitar a while, and i have been playing a few years now at this stage)