Les Paul Standard review by Epiphone

• Users' score: 8.3 (1,334 votes)
Epiphone: Les Paul Standard

Price paid: € 400

Purchased from: Pro musica (Ireland)

The sound is absolutely gorgeous. I really mean it. I bought this guitar as a guitar to entertain me while I was waiting to get the money for a top of the range guitar... Honestly, I am in love with my Les Paul. Through my Crate GT1200H and Crate cab, it sounds amazing. The treble pickup is great for guns n roses, foxboro hot tubs, nirvana etc... The bridge pickup isn't amazing really, I would recommend switching it for Gibson/Seymour Duncan pickups if you can, but that is just being a little nit-picky though.

I play punk rock, classic rock, and metal (and sometimes I use it clean). And I will say that it covers most basses exceptionally well. I've been playing for a few years now and I am still very happy with my Les Paul, to such an extent that it is the only Les Paul I want to play. I love the shape of the neck, perfect for my small hands (I'm an adult with kid's hands! ). The only thing I don't like is the bridge pup, but many people love it. I love the neck pup... It's amazing. I compared this to an ESP Les Paul of the same price, a Mexican telecaster, a Gibson Les Paul Studio (on offer xD) and a Fernandes of some sort:L Overall, my guitar (marley:) ) Blew them all away, to such an extent that the person selling it tried to convince me to take another Les Paul so that he can have mine:L. I have been very lucky with my Les Paul, I know that I have one that was exceptionally well made. My advice is to do what I did, I tried out 11 Les Paul standards before I bought my one. And when I found mine I was in love. It may take you a while to find epiphone's jems, but if you find a gem of a guitar like mine, then you really are on to a winner

This guitar could (and has) withstand live playing with no problems at all. This is an incredibly reliable guitar. The strap buttons are decent, but I would recommend butting strap locks of you want to move around onstage a bit (but I say that about nearly every guitar). I have used it without a backup in the past, and I need not worry about it ever letting me down. That being said, I now bring my Telecaster everywhere, it's best to prepare for the worst sometimes. The finish will likely not wear off, it has multiple coats of lacquer... You'd want to be very rough with the guitar to wear it...

The guitar came perfectly set up, with low action (no buzz though). Te pickups were very well adjusted, just exactly the way I like them. The finish is brilliant, it honestly looks beautiful in cherryburst. Many people, even strangers, have commented on how beautiful the finish is. Almost perfect in every way, except for two things, the jack input isn't the greatest (like most Les Pauls) but that can be remedied using a washer like I did. My complaint is how easily the guitar picks up dents... I look after my guitar like it's my long necked baby, yet there are still tiny bumps in the wood...

I believe mine was mad around 2008 or so, never checked it out, but seeing as I bought it new, I wouldn't think it was much older then that. 22 frets, rosewood fretboard, mahogany body with with maple top. Cherryburst finish (gorgeous btw). Tune-o-matic bridge, stock passive pickups, two volume, two tone, 3 way selector, grover tuners.

Afroboy267
    This Guitar is ****ing amazing. Deserves way more than 8.5. i love Guns N' Roses and this guitar just makes me feel like Slash or Jimmy Page. it's so cool. And at 350 it's a steal .
    BigWilly79
    dont get me wrong, i love my les paul to death. it is a great guitar. but it doesnt really suit my music style. i play metal and rock and a little country. the neck's finish makes it hard to play though. i have a peavy raptor plus and its my #1.
    Duke_Jr
    I hate to disappoint most of you out there but don't be fooled by what you idol is playing up on stage. Remember... just because they are endorsing a product it does NOT mean they are playing it. Money talks! Take a look at the Ed Roman Guitars website under the link "Fabulous Fake" you will be either very surprised or very disappointed.