Les Paul Standard review by Epiphone

• Users' score: 8.3 (1,334 votes)
Epiphone: Les Paul Standard

Purchased from: Sam ash

I play different types of genres mostly thrash metal, rock'n'roll, and some Acoustic stuff. I know you might say "well this is a Les Paul, its not made for metal" but your wrong, this guitar suits any type of genre and rocks out with rage! But it also plays beautifully on a clean setting. On clean it gives a warm full sound, and on a distorted setting it gives a nice crunch-crunch-punch sound. Closest thing to the actual Gibson Les Paul without cleaning out your wallet.

This guitar matches any type of music. I have been playing for 2 years and own a Fender Strat and play with my friends guitars which are a Charvel custom, a Martin acoustic, a Gibson Les Paul, and a Jackson rr3. I own a decent practice amp but to really get the full sound of this baby I use my friends Mesa Boogie amp-head on peavy cabins. If there was something I wish I would have asked it would be if they had it in a flamed maple finish.lol. If it were stolen I would seriously cry.I would try my hardest to buy a new one, but maybe I'd save up another 1000 and buy myself a Gibson Les Paul. This guitar is the closest you can get to the actual Les Paul.

I don't play much live stuff, but if I did and when I will I'm sure she will last throughout the whole thing. I replaced the stock strap buttons and got Schaller strap locks for safe. This guitar is very dependable I would use this guitar without a back up with no worries. The finish does dink a bit if you hit the wall or the back of a chair(like I did).

The action was perfect with no buzz at all straight from the factory, although I did have to adjust the pickups a bit. Everything was properly book-matched and it contained no flaws I could find, the wood is of excellent quality, the chrome hardware was perfect with a little bit of proper cleaning (the Sam Ash I bought if from has a habit of not cleaning their instruments after someone plays with it). The finish on this baby is outrageously beautiful, my favorite part of it is the back and neck were you can see the wood and the cherry gloss finish properly. Also she has cream binding on the body and neck which is the icing on the cake.

My guitar was made in 2009, hand-crafted in china, or at least that's what the sticker says(not gonna argue with the sticker). She has 22 beautiful trapezoid inlayed medium-jumbo frets, rosewood fingerboard and a mahogany neck. Solid mahogany arch-top body with a glossy sunburst transparent finish. Its a single cut-away Les Paul body (of course) with a traditional Gibson style tune-O-matic. All the hardware is chrome including pick up covers. The pickups are stock Epiphone double vacuumed humbuckers. She has 4 main controls 1 volume and 1 tone for each pickup and a 3 way pick-up toggle select switch. The tuners (machine heads) are die cast chrome Grover tuners.

seemeel
    Can the dumb cnuts who review this guitar stop rating at 9.6/10 or 9.8/10, it simply isn't true!
    rogerbgoode
    I've owned a Gibson Standard LP, And an Epiphone Ultra which I still own, Because, Mainly I play Jazz Guitar, I play on a Gibson L4. I know many people that go for the top of the line guitar, But, Don't have enough to get a decent amplifier. I'd say with the money you can save on purchasing an Epi, Or MIM Strat. Use that money to get yourself a real good Amp. I've played Epi's, And, I consider them to be just as good as the Gibby Std LP. Especially with a Nice Fender Deville, It sounds great. All guitars including Gibby's some of them, Have their Flaws too. So, It's better to go to a dealer and purchase your gear. You may have to pay tax, But, You have to pay shipping too. I have to try out at least 6 to a dozen models before I select an instrument. And, If it's a Bad day, I don't purchase anything, But, Wait.
    Sam Wotrey
    sungjae wrote: SWEAR TO GOD. DO NOT BUY THIS GUITAR.. I READ THE REVIEWS AND EVERYTHING..SO I BOUGHT ONE AT BEST BUY. AYE? PAID ABOUT $500.. FIRTST ONE I BOUGHT HAD A CRACK ON THE BACK OF THE GUITAR.. THERE WERE SOME SCRATCHES.. I GOT PISSED AND WENT THERE TO GET EXCHANGED. THEY GAVE ME BRAND NEW ONE.. IN THE BOX, LIKE STRAIGHT UP NEW ONE.. CAME HOME AND I EXAMINED IT.. THERE WAS A HUGE CRACK ON THE GUITAR. I WENT THERE AGAIN, AND THEY SAID THE NECK WAS ABOUT TO GET BROKEN..THEY SAID THIS CRACK IS FAR MORE SERIOUS THAN THE FIRST ONE.. GUESS WHAT I DID? I GOT A REFUND... DUDES.. IF YOU CAN'T AFFORD GIBSON LES PAUL.. I RECOMMEND YOU TO GET A JOB SAVE SOME MONEY, AND BUY GIBSON ONE...I MEAN WHAT THE FXXK.. I AM VERY VERY VERY DISAPPOINTED..EPIPHONE..WTF.. I MEAN WHAT THE HELL THE EXAMINERES ARE FOR? I COULD FIND A CRACK IN LIKE 20 SECONDS.. LIKE gerrywm SAID,, DO NOT BELIEVE THESE REVIEWS.. IT'S MADE IN FXXKING CHINA ANYWAY. FUCK EPIPHONE DUDE.
    I think you need a new keyboard, your caps lock is stuck. Besides, that's not Epiphone's fault, just the handling. I went through 3 Epi acoustics until the last one wasn't cracked.
    Kingnichendrix
    Vabolo
    Kingnichendrix wrote: All this debate about best guitar is rubbish i got a Gibson Les Paul, $1999 really nice, then the lead guitarist in my band gets a Efing squier telecaster and the thing sounded better than my Gibson, it broke my heart that some $300 squier had a better sound. Unfair much!
    Sound is about 25% guitar, 25% amp and 50% player, so don't only consider guitar quality for sound.
    bone shaker
    am a novice player, i have a family,bills, ect. i cant afford a gibson lp, most likly never will. i owned a samick lp made in 1993. its was a nice playing guitar. however it was chipped up beat up( i bought it from a pawn shop) i traded it off for a fender acoustic, and bought a cheap ibanez. i really miss the feel and sound of the lp so now im looking to buy another. i have been looking at the epis and they are nice, however i went to guitar center this morning and planned on buying a brand new one. well i pick up 2 off the wall and they both have cracks under the nut. they tell me this is common with epis and gibson due to the angle of the headstock. the knock 100 bucks off the price and i make a few calls to see about repairs. well through some conversations im told that the epis, are made by samick not gibson. guy invites me over to check out an samick greg bennitt av3 lp copy. i remeber how well i liked the samick i had, just wished it looked better. so i go over and i did some research along the way and found out samick used to make them, but hasnt since 99. but when i got to the guys store he brings out a brand new av3 and i must say its amazing. beautiful finsh, grover tuners, duncan humbuckers, and a hard case. out the door for 220 and change. this has put me in a delima. the av3 seems to be a great guitar, but is the quality there. i cant find much on the av3. i dont care about the name on the head stock. i just want a nice lp for my budget.... any advice is welcomedi