Les Paul Standard review by Epiphone

• Users' score: 8.3 (1,334 votes)
Epiphone: Les Paul Standard

Price paid: € 350

Purchased from: DLX Music (Finland)

I play rock and metal. I think it plays them pretty well. I'm using Roland Micro Cube and I know it's no the best amp but it's the only amp I have at the time. I use DigiTech RP355 for recording. The sound is not very bright. The bridge pickup has brighter tone than the neck pickup and it's better pickup for metal and rock. The neck pickup is great for cleans and mild overdrive. It's got pretty midrangy sound and you can play funk rock kind of stuff with it and blues. When I play clean things with the neck pickup the sound sometimes gets muddy. I think Les Paul is made for many different music styles. I like its sound pretty much.

This is the only guitar I have at the moment. I have been looking for a new one. I've been playing for about 2 years. I got this guitar as a present so I couldn't decide which guitar I wanted. If I could have decided I wouldn't have bought this because I wanted and still want to have a whammy bar. The best feature it has is two independent volume and tone knobs. I like it. I hate my high e-string that sounded bad. Now it doesn't because I have restringed my guitar. We'll see will my new strings sound as bad as my previous. I have tried my friend's Ibanez Prestige which had much higher output and brighter sound. Then I have tried our school's Ibanez RGA and I like how it feels in my hands but I don't like the sound of active pickups. This guitar could have brighter sound but I also like its midrangy tone that it has now. If you are looking for your first guitar and want a guitar that can play many styles, I recommend you to buy this.

I'm going to tell you more about my bridge problem. I tried to adjust the bridge but it didn't help. Then I restringed my guitar and it helped, for a while. Some time later the bad sound of the e-string came back. Then the string snapped. Maybe I just have had two bad e-strings. Sometimes when I Switch to the neck pickup it doesn't Switch the pickup properly and the sound is weak. I have to Switch to my bridge pickup and then back to the neck pickup and then it works again. I don't know what's the matter with my guitar, is it the selector or my pickup. My strap buttons are strap locks but I don't trust on them because the guitar has dropped some times when using them. Otherwise the guitar seems like it will last. I maybe would use it on a gig but it doesn't stay in tune very well so I don't know. The finish seems good. I have no scratches or anything on it.

The guitar was set-up well but it had one problem and I don't know did it depend on crappy strings or what but the high e-string 12th fret harmonic was out of tune. The action is OK. The pickup selector is noisy, I think, but my friend's Ibanez has as noisy selector as mine is so maybe they all are noisy.

It was hand-crafted in China. It's got 22 frets, 24,75 rosewood fretboard with trapezoid inlays, mahogany neck and body, Tune-O-Matic bridge, two Alnico V passive humbuckers, 2 volume and 2 tone controls (one for each pickup), 3-way pickup selector, ebony finish. The tuners are non-locking and I have to tune my guitar pretty often because it doesn't stay in tune very long time. The guitar is pretty heavy and it's neck is not the best for fast playing. The guitar came with some crappy cable which didn't work properly when I tried it and had a terrible sound. I wish my guitar had a whammy bar and locking tuners. I like it that it has two independent volume and tone controls so I can quickly change my volume when I Switch my pickup.

rv_phoenix
    Irishman94 wrote: Does anyone else have an alder epiphone les paul??
    All the Epiphones LP Special are made in alder. They are not the same instrument as the one reviewed here, 3 times more expensive and 100 times better. The Epi's problem is not the allegedly "made in China" issue. A lot of fine guitars are made in China nowadays, by respectable companies. Epi's problem is the ever-decreasing quality of its instruments. It's a general decrease of the woodcraft and finish, and the frequency of defective items (like bridges, tuning pegs, potentiometers etc.) has dramatically increased over the last decade. More than that: there are huge quality gaps between guitar lines in its current catalogue, with highs like this Les Paul, reviewed here, and lows like SG Special, LP Special, Explorer GT and so on. There are visible differences in terms of quality between guitars in the same batch, as well. All this is leading the public to an obvious lack of confidence in the make. Epi is about to get the image of a cheap brand, no matter how fine are its high-end LPs, SGs, hollowbodies or archtops. And it's a pity, because Epiphone has never been a Squier-type brand. As for the Les Paul reviewed here, I must say all the guitars I've played and reviewed over the last 3 years were good. Of course, if you are experienced, you can perceive that woodcraft and pickups aren't quite at the same level as in a Gibson, but all the guitars I've seen were flawlessly built ant retained all the basic specs of a Les Paul. It's a fine instrument a good departure point if you are in the quest of your identity as a guitarist. You can play a lifetime on this factory LP, but you can also modify it according to your taste. I myself would replace the pickups (by some "beefier" ones), but it's only a matter of personal preferences.
    Duv
    My first guitar was an Epiphone LP STandard. It fell apart. Just sayin. It was a decent guitar though - apart from that.
    Charlie4
    I'd say with an Epi you most often get what you pay for. For many Gibson is the answer but (realistically speaking) where I stay it's Tokai.
    lespaul4eveR
    I love my old epi les paul... honesly, not playing it has done it worse then over playing it, once i set it down for a month and picked it back up a tone pot was dead and then i hit the case puting it away and i guess the weird temp got to it and the neck poped below the head stock, but its all fixed now and its better than ever~
    MaggaraMarine
    Price paid: $ 760 This guitar is an amazing guitar. For the price of it, you'd think you stole it.
    OMG you pay $ 760!!!! I think you have been stolen because it's a $ 300 or $ 400 guitar!!! You could almost get a Gibson for that price.