Les Paul Standard review by Epiphone

• Users' score: 8.3 (1,334 votes)
Epiphone: Les Paul Standard

The Les Paul can cover a wide range of tones, and is a very middle-of-the-road guitar when it comes to tones, in my opinion. The stock pickups can produce a very nice clean tone, as well as handle fair amounts of distortion. Depending on what pick up is selected and what position the tone knobs are at, the guitar can produce tones ranging from thin and trebley to thick and bassy. I play a lot of punk, post hardcore, metalcore and extreme metal, and the guitar can handle them all fairly well. The guitar is obviously not as suited for metal as an EMG equipped one, but still performs very well. I am constantly hooking this guitar up with Line 6's pod farm, which with all of its amp/effect modelling capabilities, shows how versatile the Les Paul can be.

I am very happy with my Epi Les Paul Standard and have found it to be quite valuable for the price I paid for it. I think it's a great deal, and I recommend it to anyone who is looking for a guitar that can cover a wide variety of genres.

From my experience with this guitar, it is very durable. It has endured a few bumps and a couple of hits and has no dents, scratches or damage to the finish. I haven't had to adjust much of the setup. This guitar would most definitely withstand a live performance, and would be a good choice for a main guitar or a back up.

The guitar was set up fairly well when I purchased it. The action had to be lowered quite a bit, but that was no trouble. Other than that I have made little changes to the setup and am very happy with the guitar's performance.

This is a china made Epiphone Les Paul Standard, not sure of the year of production. I bought it a few months ago, and am very happy with it. The guitar is very well crafted, and is quite sturdy. The hardware seems very reliable, but I have only had this guitar a few months now, so how it holds up in time remains to be seen. I however, think it will last for quite some time. After adjusting the bridge, or sometimes after tuning, the g string tends to go out of tune quickly. This happens infrequently but is still annoying. The tuners themselves are Grovers, and aside from occasional tuning problems with the g string, the guitar stays in tune very well. I am constantly changing tunings due to this currently being my only guitar, so I'm unsure of how long the guitar can be kept in tune without any adjustments.

casualguy393
    Thanks for all of the reviews guys. There are quite a bit of good reviews vs some bad ones, so I am going to take a chance on this guitar and try my hand at playing some music for the introductory price of about $250.00 for a used one here in Japan. It's been hanging on the wall at a shop for quite a while and has almost zero marks on it, but I hope that it sounds alright. Cover me, I'm going in.
    gndboy
    Regarding the strap buttons pulling out: Carefully drill a slightly larger hole that will snugly fit a hardwood dowel. Lightly coat the dowel with wood glue and force it into the hole. After the glue sets, trim the dowel flush with the guitar body. Drill a new hole of the correct size into the center of the hardwood dowel and attach button hardware of your choice. It will last forever.