Les Paul Standard 1959 review by Epiphone

Epiphone: Les Paul Standard 1959

Purchased from: Candy Apple Red Guitars3

I play a lot of rock music, so it is no coincidence that my choice of guitar would be a Les Paul! I love to play various Aerosmith songs, Guns N' Roses and music of that genre and it emulates the sounds from the records very well whilst using my Marshall amp (I'm sorry I don't now the model name!) which is a practice amp, the sound is very good and I feel obliged to compliment the Gibson Burstbucker and Humbucker for the very enjoyable playing experience! Excellent value for money!

My overall impression seems to be that it is a great match for my style of music. I've played for about a year and a half now, and this suits me very well. Although it wasn't as advertised, Epiphone's description and pictures of the product show it to have a blank headstock, whilst it actually reads "Les Paul Standard 1959", which was no issue for me I actually prefer it believe Epiphone should have changed their description of the product before issuing them, I have model no. 101 of the 1,959 products produced, I don't know if they had a change of heart after making the first 100 or even issued any with a blank headstock at all but I believe that they should have informed perspective buyers. If I was to lose the guitar I could see myself buying it again (if I can find another one they seem to be quite rare!). I love the finish quality, the Standard of the pearl inlays, the ivory-like tuners on the headstock! The whole look of the guitar is excellent! It plays brilliantly there is nothing I hate about it! I compared this product to my father's Fender Stratocaster, his Gibson '76 Les Paul Deluxe and an Ibanez who's model name I have forgotten! Overall, I feel my Les Paul trumps the Startocaster and the Ibanez (priced at 600), however not the Gibson, for obvious reasons! Overall, fantastic! Great value for money! If you are lucky enough to find one, I highly recommend it to you! However, I can only speak on behalf f the cherry burst model!

It is to my belief that this guitar could withstand a great deal of Live playing, it has great sound and looks brilliant aesthetically and would be impressive for minor performances (obviously not large gigs such as Glastonbury festival!) I can imagine myself using this for my own performances thorough out my GCSE examination course and also private gigs of my own. The finish seems like it will last, and it hopefully will! I couldn't ask for anything more from reliability and durability of the guitar for my price paid!

The action was not set up very well from the factory, however, my father easily sorted this out and it was no trouble with for him, took him approximately 10 minutes so it was no issue. Internation was remarkably almost perfect, which was very nice to see. The finish, excellent! Lovely cherry sunburst finish, as I said above, almost as good as my father's Gibson Les Paul '76 deluxe, however not as good, but very good anyway! I couldn't be more happy with it!

The guitar is marketed as a 1959 Les Paul Reissue. Although technically not a reissue as Epiphone never released a 1959 Les Paul, it attempts to be the high end of the low end, and succeeds. It has a Standard number of frets (22) with nicely made trapezium-like pearl inlays which look superb. It is a solid top guitar, no bolt-on neck which is a sign of good craftsmanship. The volume and tone switches were a little bit tight an needed adjusting which was a small drawback but nothing major, it manages to stay in tune very well which is a big bonus! The finish (I can only speak or the cherry sunburst edition) was excellent! It was very similar to my father's '76 deluxe which coincidentally is also cherry burst, however his obviously much finer! However, the Epiphone model has an excellent finish non the less. The pickups on the guitar are Gibson Burstbuckers and Gibson Humbuckers which replicate a very nice Gibson punch-like sound of a Les Paul Overall it was very good, a few small things needed adjusting and picking up such as the pickups (which needed picking up slightly, I thought that was fairly ironic!) and the tone and volume switches needed adjusting slightly, no major issues, and the internation was almost perfect which was fairly surprising!

EpiExplorer
    High end Epiphones are pretty decent, Prophecy series being an example. This should be pretty decent too.
    Dark Aegis
    SeanX3187 wrote: Epiphone's expensive guitars always seem to be worth the money (Especially the Elite/Elitist series which was for some reason discontinued)
    Im guessing they were cutting into the sales of some of their USA guitars.
    Jsteele1408
    Ok kids. Get a little more butthurt over the bolt-on comment. Obviously he was trying to get the point across that Epiphone put some serious work into making this guitar, not just dropping clone necks in every guitar.
    CranberryJuice
    New gibsons less than 2k dont have shit on Epiphones. For some reasons Epiphone doesn't feel the need to abuse their name and make money off of it. Instead, they sell solid guitars.
    Lil Macker
    I don't think it's really fair that he said that bolt ons weren't good craftmanship. That's a bit urgh.
    KBaird
    I found one of these as I was trying dozens of les pauls. It plays and sounds better than a gibson studio.
    Hebbamundo
    megano28 wrote: for all of you that were offended by his bolt on comment, you shouldn't be. It is crystal clear that this guy is an extreme noob! He drops clues little by little. For example:no bolt-on neck which is a sign of good craftsmanship, it manages to stay in tune very well which is a big bonus!(tuning stability is a must not a bonus), It was very similar to my FATHER'S, the internation was almost perfect(DID HE JUST SAY INTERNATION!),I've played for about a year and a half now,my father easily sorted this out and it was no trouble with for him(again with the father), my Marshall amp (I'm sorry I don't now the model name!). I know this was a bit overkill, but it sends my point across, he's a noob, he won't know much about guitars with 1 and 1/2 years experience. (I'm sorry for flaming you man, it just needed to be said)
    I never said I was good, I only made this review because there weren;t any others! which was a bitch when I was ordering it? And Im sorry but wtf, who do u think u r? honestly... it's not as if u paid for this review is it? i did it out of my good will, n if u dnt like my thoughts, frankly **** off
    Hebbamundo
    Vitooch wrote: you dont know what model your amp is ? well i can tell you right now its an MG.
    actually it isn't, it's one of my dad's old ones from the 70s so probably isn't :S
    Liuk95
    Why don't i listen the sound sample? I don't look the play botton..
    megano28
    jean_genie wrote: megano28 wrote: (I'm sorry for flaming you man, it just needed to be said) No it didn't. If it "needed" to be said, someone would have said it already. Like the bolt-on comment. My best Dad owns a custom audio installation store. Well they do other crap too, but it's not relevent. Would you call his $20,000 home audio system a noob job because he did it himself? Maybe the guy's dad actually knows his stuff. Besides, doing a guitar setup isn't exactly rocket surgery. Kids right out of high school do a pretty good job on it all the time. And for the record, I know more than a couple professional photographers that don't immediately recall the model numbers of their cameras or lenses. Some of them are actually pretty damn good. Doesn't excuse him for being too lazy to go look, but not remembering the actual name is understandable.
    I was actually talking about the fact that he needed some else to set it up for him, not that his dad couldn't do it.Also didn't I just say it? it was said less than a day after it was written, something has me questioning your intellectual ability...And knowing your model name is a huge difference than knowing a camera model name, cameras tend to have long extended barcode like names, while guitar amps have simpler names. FYI not being able to immediately name your model is vastly different than not being able to name it at all.
    megano28
    jean_genie
    megano28 wrote: (I'm sorry for flaming you man, it just needed to be said)
    Lester_molester
    hahaha
    Lester_molester
    jean_genie wrote: Geeeeezer wrote: SeanX3187 wrote: stratomaster123 wrote: a bit expensive for an epiphone, as you can get a Gibson for that price, but i'm 98% sure that this is much better than low priced Gibsons. If im honest I would go for a Gibson any day. You get the little label at the top And keep it in good nick for 50 years and who knows how much it could be worth. Its pragmatic i know but your still getting a beautiful quality guitar if you get a studio or something I agree. I think this Epiphone is a better guitar off-the-shelf than a Gibson, but that'll change in a few years. For all the slag they get over being too expensive, I've never played a single old guitar that sounded or felt as good as a Gibson or an American Fender. Not good-condition vintage mind you ... beat-up [i]old/[i]. This is why they are worth the money. Because I've never seen a beat to crap, 15-year-old Ibanez, Cort, or Jackson that played like butter. They're like the Volvos of guitars.
    definitely
    Vitooch
    you dont know what model your amp is ? well i can tell you right now its an MG.
    jean_genie
    Geeeeezer
    SeanX3187
    stratomaster123 wrote: Nice review but i was really bugged by the excessive amount of exclamation marks!!!
    i agree, but hey, i guess that shows that he really likes it which is always good. anyways, pretty good review. a bit expensive for an epiphone, as you can get a Gibson for that price, but i'm 98% sure that this is much better than low priced Gibsons. Epiphone's expensive guitars always seem to be worth the money (Especially the Elite/Elitist series which was for some reason discontinued)
    Robbo1422
    So what, bolt-ons are a sign of bad craftsmanship in your opinion? What drugs were you on when writing that bit?