Les Paul Standard 1959 review by Epiphone

Epiphone: Les Paul Standard 1959

Purchased from: Reverb- Bristol

I play blues, rock and sometimes metal, and I have to say the guitar suits all of those genres. If you playing cold (not plugged in) you get that really cool jazzy sound that Les Paul produced (his music). If you plug in and Switch to overdrive, You get a really good warm rocky tone, you get that "ballsy" sound that only the Les Paul models can give. I am not a millionare so I don't have X hundred W Marshall amps, but it still sounds damn good on a Zoom G2 through a Cheetah 30W amp. There is a bit of noise when you put it on the distortion setting/patch "Ed"(Zoom G2 users will know what I'm talking about)but this can be reduced by using/changing the Zoom Noise Reduction settings. I rate the Sound 9 because I expected a more Gibsony tone for 600 pounds. But it might just be the amp and pedal combination. If you have a 50W Marshall/VOX/whatever it might sound better and heavier.

I have been playing for 2 years now, I am in a band and we have done 1 school gig and we usualy jam after school. I mainly play blues and rock but getting to like Metal as well. I like the guitar's versatility, and the Gibsony tone, and also it's beautiful look. It's kind of tricky that they sell it for 619 because what you get is a 60-70 case a 2 lead, so the guitar itself is almost the same price as the Ultra II. I wanted one that comes from the "EE" factory which is the QingDao in China (Best Epi factory in China), but looking at the reviews these are all made in Japan, FujiGen. Same factory where Joe Satriani gets his guitars from, and which is also well known for its good quality end products. The sound is great could be a little heavier for the money paid but it's great. I was actually quite shocked when I first held it in my hands in the store. It weighed almost the same as my Squier... I thought it will be a bit heavier but at least that won't annoy me when doing a gig. It weighs exactly 3.5 Kilograms (7.7lb/pounds) I hope you found this review helpful.

I only had this guitar for 4 days but I think it's quite solid. The case is really protective, well padded. The guitar didn't come with straplocks so I will have to put my Squier's straplocks on it. I think I would use it on smaller gig like in a pub or a school without a backup, but for a stadium gig... I would obviously take some more with me.

The guitar was set up well, the humbuckers are wobbly a bit but that's normal. Sometimes you will need to check them though because they can sink down a bit and you might loose some volume/tone, just get a screw driver and... Drive the screws which ever way you want to (up/down):). As I said above one of the fretwires was not pressd in as well so I hat to hit on it with a hammer (gently) so it went back to place. The nut seems to be like a / shape because if I look at it from the bridge (eye level, from the bridge end of the guitar) the nut looks slopy (straight but like a slope), anyway that's a minor problem. The control knobs are well put on, and the 3 way pickup Switch is set well, and doesn't snap back from one position to another.

This guitar is a Limited Edition Custom Shop and was made in Japan in 2003. It features 22 medium jumbo frets, 1950's rounded neck profile, RoseWood fingerboard which feel really nice! Solid Mahogany body with a Hard Maple cap on the top. Beautiful finish! I got the Cherry Sunburst one. It also features a LockTone tune-o-matic/stopbar bridge, Gibson Tuners, 2 Gibson USA Burstbucker Pickups. 2 Tone and 2 Volume Controls. The guitar came with a hard case with, Brown leather exterior and pink fur interior. Great Case, you can also lock it (key provided)! I also got a poster, an Epiphone Sticker and a 1-2 metre lead. On the Epiphone Website it says " blank trussrod cover " but mine came with a trussrod cover that says "Les Paul Standard 1959". On the back you have the stamp in black ink that states that this is a Custom Shop and Limited Edition. Mine is the 1792nd. They should have payed a bit more attention to the fingerboard when painting it. They also didn't press 1 fret (fretwire) in hard, I had to hit on it gently with a hammer because I got a fret buzz when playin on towards the 18th-19th fret. You must try the guitar before buying it! Other than that the guitar is gorgeous!

Rembull1980
    I have this guitar for some time now. The strongest points of this guitar are: - Feel of high quality, better than low end Gibsons. - Attention to detail - Comes from factory in China (better) - Usage of better materials due this is the high-end Epiphone. - Genuine Gibson burstbuckers for the best rock sound you can get. Best for stuff like AC/DC, Greenday, Guns 'n Roses and (Heavy)Metal (Iron Maiden) to Thrash Metal (Metallica). This is exactly what I play. I do not play Death Metal, so no experience there. While using Ernie Ball Regular Slinky the following I must say is somewhat a critic/minor: - Clean it sounds somewhat metallic. This is not notacible when adjusting the amp to this, but when reset all settings you will notice this. - Is somewhat heavy, but that's normal for a Les Paul Overall this is the best Epiphone I ever had. The quality when you compare it to the midrage Epi (around 400 dollar) is a HUGE difference. It feels more like a genuine Gibson Les Paul in my opinion.
    Slimfullsim
    I found one of these as I was trying dozens of les pauls. It plays and sounds better than a gibson studio.
    Agreed. I would take a high end Epiphone les Paul over a Gibson les Paul Studio any day. What I hate about it is the finish (looks and feels like crap.) And the chambered body results in the lack of grind of the les paul. Gibson les paul Junior? Don't make me laugh. BFG? Getting there But now im paying 1,000 euros at my local music store. After looking through the guitars the most decent one for the least price that I would play is a Gibson Les Paul HD.6X-Pro for 1,500 euros! Thanks a lot, but im not swimming in cash here. When you buy a low priced Gibson you pay for the name . End of story. If you want a Gibson, get a standard or don't worry about it. Keep in mind that Gibson makes Professional level instruments. Let Epiphone do it's thing as it's sister brand and make home level instruments.
    brhokla
    I have this guitar in the Iced Tea finish. I love it! Sound is really good and the quality is really nice. Finish is beautiful and I couldn't be happier with the Iced Tea color. I had a Red Sunburst Les Paul in the past and they are fairly common so getting the Iced Tea was not a heart breaker, besides it was the only choice since I got it at a Pawn shop as a regular Epi Les Paul Standard. Quality and Sound are absolutely there in this guitar. I know it's an Epiphone but it looks good, sounds great and play's awesome. The neck is nice and fat, easy to play. After 10 minutes setting it up, adjusting things she's awesome... I've played many guitars in this price range and have to put this one at the top. You would have to spend $2K-$3K to get a nicer, better set up that could only be achieved with a Gibson Les Paul. The pickup's are wicked and sound nasty! Got mine at a Pawn Shop for $344 bucks in perfect condition. They thought it was a regular Epiphone Les Paul Standard. A great deal it was and very glad I purchased it.