Les Paul Standard 1959 review by Epiphone

Epiphone: Les Paul Standard 1959

Purchased from: Denmark Street, London

The burstbuckers in this guitar do a fantastic job. Clean in particular I have found them to really shine. If I put them through my Marshall MG 102 or my Marshall JCM it sounds fantastic for any clean style the neck position is a personal fav. If blues are your thing in particular then look no further. I genuinely believe the clean tone (although not that of the Gibson Les Paul Standard which I also own) this guitar really holds its own against far more expensive models. When you start over driving or distorting it also performs well (as you'd expect given the hardware) It doesn't naturally lend itself towards heavy metal (for that I use my Gibson Flying V) etc but I have found but for your more pop-metal and traditional rock and roll it both sounds and looks the part 100%. This is, for the price, a fantastic sounding guitar. If you rubbed off Epiphone and wrote Gibson on the headstock you'd get away with it. Does very well across the board (as Les Pauls do) If you're hard up for a 1000+ guitar and want a les paul, this is probably one of the more serious guitars to be looking at.

I do have a fair few guitars in my collection and have played for 8 years overall. This guitar I bring out at gigs alot. Very happy to use it in that environment. The style's I play with this are traditional old school rock and roll-think ZZ Top, AC/DC, Zeppelin type of guitar and it does the job. If this is run through a half decent amp (solid state or valve) it sounds great. Very happy with the purchase. If I lost it would I buy another one? Probably not BUT only because I would take it as an opportunity to try something new. My only problem with this guitar is I find it very hard to love. If you've experience with Gibson Les Pauls you will-like me - appreciate how good this is for the money.

The model I have is only a few years old (as it was made in 2010). Played regularly live etc. Seems very safe hands here no worries about playing it live. But then again the guitar isnt old enough for me to say how well it will last. But so far after 18 months of use it has stood up well!

Well set up from the store, no work required. Finish, traditional Les Paul here... Flawless. Action is also low but not to low. The only comment I would make is the "bassball bat" neck. It does have a round neck as in keeping with the Les Paul's of the time. Does make it very comfortable to dig in but not lending itself to shredding.

You've all know the features of a Les Paul and there's nothing new here! Limited Edition Les Paul Custom shop, hard case with all the usual Les Paul gubbins. Gibson USA burstbucker 2&3's looks great just as you'd expect. Standard Les Paul set up with the bridge and 3 way selector and controls, single cut away all that... No surprises with this guitar in terms of features. Nice and traditional Les Paul, why we love them so much! Remarkable job with the Finish.