Les Paul Standard Plus review by Epiphone

Epiphone: Les Paul Standard Plus

Purchased from: New Zealand Rockshop

I play mostly metal, punk, and anything between. However, I didn't want a guitar just for that, as I do play a wide variety of styles at times. I feel that this guitar does deliver for this. I play my Les Paul through a Marshall DSL40 (all valve). On clean, the bridge pickup tends to make a little natural distortion when played hard, which can be nice. On the neck pickup, it is very clean, and sounds beautiful. With moderate overdrive the bridge pickup has a really nice bite to it, and when on the neck pickup it sounds really fat.

Great guitar, I would reccommend it as a step up from a starter guitar to anyone, or as a backup for an experienced player with a Gibson Les Paul that wants a backup. Basically my favourite features are it's looks and it's sound. If it were stolen I would claim insurance, and say it was a Gibson (yeah right) I would buy another if the need presented itself.

I would (and will) definatly use this guitar live, it seems pretty solid. I have installed StrapLoks on it, and am now quite comfortable using it as my only guitar. I never play live without a backup, what if I break a string? I am really hoping the finish lasts, it's too beautiful to dissappear.

When I first received the guitar it had a bit of fret buzz. I took it to the shop to get set up, and when I got it back it was horrible. Super high action, intonation was out, etc. So I set it up myself, and it now plays nicely. I love the finish, the flame cherry sunburst looks so sexy. But there is a couple of flaws with the guitar but what would you expect from an Epi. The tailpiece has a couple of minute dents in it, no biggie. There is some traces of glue around the inlays, no biggie either. My biggest issue with it is the frets. Some of the frets look like they aren't stuck in very well, at the ends they arent very flush with the fretboard. But it hasn't really been an issue yet, and I hope it won't be.

22 frets, H-H pups, mahogany/alder body, flamed maple top, cherry sunburst finish, Tune-o-matic bridge, grover tuners, cream pickguard.