Les Paul Standard Plus review by Epiphone

Epiphone: Les Paul Standard Plus

Purchased from: Private Sale

The available range of tones on the guitar suit me quite well, as I play a lot of GN'R, AC/DC, Led Zep, Thin Lizzy, basically any older rock. I use it with a 50W Darburn universal amp; makes it sounds very warm and rich, especially on treble. The guitar has no unwanted noise, such as scratchiness, and the sound is just beautifully rich and warm. its also a nice full sound, so it doesn't sound like some crappy sciffty waste of time. The main two sounds of the guitar are a rhythm and a treble, the treble is nice rich twang and rhythm is nice and full for playin some chords. When you really turn it up on the treble you can get a bit of distortion too.

The Les Paul Plus is quite a good match to my style, I would like it if it had natural distortion, but I'm getting a an effects pedal, so I'm not fussed too much. I've been playing for 5 years on a Squier Standard Strat and decided to go for something new. I've also got an applause round-backed semi-acoustic which is really comfortable to play as well. God forbid if the guitar was stolen, I'd probably try to get the same one again due to it being very easy and comfortable to play. I love the sound that it gives out, the excellent craftmanship on it and how smooth it feels to play, not like some other nasty guitars I've played which had a kind of 'hard-edged' feel about them. Probably my favourite feature about the guitar is the beautiful finish it has. the Heritage cherry sunburst is just so nice to look at, it's such an amazing aesthetic. I did look at some standard Epiphone Les Pauls but the plus model was just a higher quality guitar in my opinion, due to the solid mahoghany neck and body and also the metal grovers. The only wish I have for it is for it to have a classic Gary Moore distortion to it. But hey, still an amazing guitar! I'd recommend it to anyone who wants a relatively cheaper guitar and is not only into soloing but also a lot of chord play, as the les paul is very adaptable to different kinds of play. Go buy one now!

I haven't gigged this guitar yet, but am thinking of doing so, as it is such a comfortable and easy guitar to play. I would have no problems playing this beauty for a couple of hours non-stop. The hardware certainly seems like it will last, as they're all very secure in place and with no sign of damage. The strap buttons are giong nowhere and just to make sure my strap never comes off, I've put a couple of groltsch red seals over the strap. This locks the strap on amazingly tight and never lets it go. I would certainly trust this guitar enough not to have a replacement to hand if I gigged, due to the excellent craftmanship of the guitar. The finish is by no means a bodged job. I can tell that there have been many coats of finish applied and there are no signs at all of it wearing away.

My guitar had been altered before I bought it, so the setup had been changed for optimum performance - i.e. the bridge and the internal electronics had been changed to sound its possible best. The pickups had been changed to 1959 PAFs, which are much better than the alnico's (see above). Surprising as this may seem, the guitar contains absolutely no flaws whatsoever. The finish is perfect, there's no sign of substandard joining, no loose parts, the bridge and nut are very sturdy, the pickups have a good connection as they give a clean sound and the metal hardware is in perfect condition. The fit and finish is absolutely superb, with no blemishes whatsoever.

Hi, my LP Plus was made early '05 and was made in Korea. It's got 22 frets, which are dam useful for awesome solos, like the november rain outro (Slash the man). Also the neck isn't fat and chubby, but it's not slimline; think of it slightly deeper than a Squier Strat. The top is laminated and has a beautiful translucent wood grain effect on it. Cos its the plus the body is solid mahoghany and so is the neck. The guitar is finished in Heritage cherry sunburst, which in my opinion is just friggin beautiful, and the bridge is a Tune-O-Matic - good for adjusting to whatever I want. It's also got a treble and rhythm selector on it, which with the variabl tone nobs give a great range of sound. The pickups are 1959 PAFs, the same one that Zack Wylde uses on his LP, these are mucher better the the Alnico's supplied originally, since they give a warmer, richer sound. The tuners are non-locking and are metal grovers, which I personally reckon are higher quality than the plastic ones on a standard les paul. I got no accessories with my guitar, but it was packaged as if it would survive a bomb blast.