Les Paul Standard Plus review by Epiphone

Epiphone: Les Paul Standard Plus

Purchased from: Richmond Music

Perfect for what I play. Nice with clean tone, specially the rhythm. With distortion its perfect, definately Les Paul through a Marshall amp is the Stairway to perfect classic rock tones. Great variety.

I play mostly classic rock, but occasionly some Beatles and other non-distorted tunes, so its great for anything. Mostly used my dads '72 Gibson Blueridge, but I wanted a les paul, so I got a nice color. I wish I new the pickups weren't good. If it was lost or stolen I wouldn't buy another one, id save up to get a Gibson studio, which I'm currently doing, or get a cheap SG. I love the color, and the wood quality exceeds my friends' les pauls! I compared it to a Casino and a Strat, and the Casino was great for clean like Beatles, duh, but the LP is great Zeppelin, which I love. I really wish it came with a hardcase or better pickups, but overall its good for an intermediate guitar.

This guitar definitely will survive live playing, but my shoulder wouldn't. The problem is the Les Paul is so heavy you need a nice thick and medium texture strap, unless your shoulder's made of steel. The hardware seems to be slowly getting quiter, but the pickups are pretty junky so ill most likely get new ones. The strap buttons are nice, but the soft straps usually become loose when playing after a while and tend to snap off, but I've not dropped it once. The finish is great, and doesn't seem to wear at all.

Very nice at the factory. Some white paint spots near the bottom, but easily removed with a wet cloth. The pickups were quite low, but after raising them they sound great. The only flaw I've found is the nut is very poorly cut on the G string, which is only a minor problem.

2005, made in Karea. 22 frets, jumbo rosewood. Nice laminated top, similar to Jimmy Page custom burst. Chrome Tune-O-Matic bridge, everything stays in tune cept the G string, but once I put new strings on its fine. Standard pickups, but hoping to but bursts or '57 classics on it. Came with nice grover tuners and a strap.