Les Paul Standard Plus review by Epiphone

Epiphone: Les Paul Standard Plus

Purchased from: Music Shop

I play a lot of music mostly hardcore. But I am pretty new to the guitar world, so I will really play anything. I don't just stick to playing one genre. The guitar easily suits my musical style. I usually stick to the bridge pickup with the tone pot full. The neck pickup is louder and heavier than the bridge and I would probably only use this for metal. I play this through a Peavey Special 212 or through a Pod 2.0. I have not really experienced any noise at all with it except on high gain setting, I can hear the normal fingers on strings. With the tone pots on full, the sound is a little more bluesy. I only use them on full because otherwise it doesn't really suit my style. With the 2 humbuckers and tone pots, you can get pretty much any sound out of the guitar that you want.

This is a good match for any style of music really. I play mostly rock and this works out great. I have been playing about a year and this is my first "real" guitar. My old one was a Fender Squier. If this were lost of stolen, I would buy another. Then I would find the person that stole it and knock em out. I love the whole feel of the guitar in general.

I think that this guitar would easily withstand live playing. Actually, I have seen this used by bands that tour the US, Europe and Asia. All of the hardware was solid and seems like it would last. The strap button were very solid except that the bridge side of the guitar became stripped and loose after about 6 months. I just replaced it with Dunlop Strap Locks and it works great. I would definely bring it to a gig without a backup. It just feels solid all around and very durable. The finish is good enough to last for a long time.

The guitar came set up perfect. I did not have to adjust anything. The action was perfect. The pickups were also set up perfectly. I have no complaints about the factory set-up. The only flaw was that the output jack came loose easily, but one good tightening of the nut and it hasn't come loose since.

The guitar was manufactured in 2005. I think that these are being manufactured in Korea, but I could be wrong. It has a set neck with 22 frets and the neck is 24.75" in scale. The top is laminated with flamed maple and it looks great. The body and neck are solid mahogany. The finish is amazing with out any flaws at all. The body is obviously a Les Paul style seeing as though it is a Les Paul. The bridge is normal Gibson Tune-O-Matic one. There are four control knobs. A tone and volume for each pickup. There is also a 3-way selector to choose which pickup to use. The pickup configuration consists of two Epiphone humbuckers. The tuners are Grovers and seems to stay in tune pretty well. I only have to tune it every few days.