Les Paul Standard Plus review by Epiphone

Epiphone: Les Paul Standard Plus

Purchased from: local shop

This guitar will never compare to a true Gibson but it's great for the price. This Epiphone through my Vox AD30VT and Boss ds-1 are great for classic rock. The rhythm position gets a nice full heavy sound and the treble position is great for lead with a rich sound and gets a nice "crunchy" tone. I prefer the treble since the rhythm is just too noisy and gets too much feedback. Also the middle and rhythm positions sound the same. The alder core in the mahogany give a brighter sound compared to their Gibson counterparts. Overall it's a fairly versatile guitar. I got it in transparent amber.

This is a real upgrade from my squire Strat Pack and it really improves my overall sound. I spent a long time searching for a new guitar but I can honestly say this was one of the best in the price range the finish is great and I was amazed to see how great it looked. With a new pickup change I can see myself using this guitar for a long time.

I've accidentally hit walls and corners but I haven't even found a scratch. This guitar should easily be able to handle live playing it's very solid and I haven't had any problems with the durability yet. Except you need to be a little careful with the angled headstock.

The factory set up wasn't too bad the action was pretty good there was no fret buzz and the neck was great. The pickups needed a little adjustment, but once I had the guitar set up at my local shop the full potential of the sound and playability came out of it and it's very playable. Everything else on the guitar was fine from the start.

CustomCustom
    Its probably one of the best in its price range and for $379 for a quilt top from Musicians friend its a great deal, I played it along with a Tremonti SE and an SE Custom from PRS. The Tremonti is way too light and lacks a maple cap so its tone is more plasticky and thin, the SE Custom is about as good as the Epi tonewise, all 3 necks are very similar in size so thats a wash. The only advantage of the Tremonti is the thinner body which allows easier access to the upper frets but it pays for it in wieght and tone. Its a hard decision between the 3.
    SkinnyWhiteBoy
    buhda wrote: these reveiws are useless theres no way and epiphone les paul could get a 10 out of 10 it may be an ok guitar but its not great i wouldnt give my dads 1975 gibson les paul 10 out of 10 most of you have never played anyother guitars what have you got to compare to no guitar gets 10 out of 10 especially a epiphone
    Well, the ratings are kinda based off of a "what you get for what you pay for" system. I'm sure some of these reviewers think that these are awesome guitars for the money, and feel that they are a steal. But, I don't think anyone is gonna think that an Epiphone deserves a 10/10 when compared to Gibsons (or other big guitar brands).
    jmac72187
    people saying that they can't be compared to gibson should think about what they are saying. A Gibson costs $2000 while an Epi is about $500. You are rating it based on what you payed for it and how you like it. Some people are just ****ing idiots.
    MR-1
    MR-1 : I bought the epi les paul standard about 6 months ago, on an impulse purchase, I have always wanted a les paul but due to cost and(yah I'm married....get my drift?) I could not afford the "Gibson". At first the intenation was horribly out but nothing about $80.00 didn't fix with the action also set to my liking. My honest opinion is this.. Yah the Gibson model is superior as far as pick-ups and resale value, but for the money you save on the epi, toss in some burstbuckers for a couple of hundred, maybe replace some of the hardware, get it set up by a professional, and you have a guitar that plays,sounds,weighs, and looks just as beautiful. Don't waste your money on the Gibson when you can have 2 epi's with your modifications for the price if one. I have done my research and all the same woods are used for the epi and the Gibson, and don't forget Gibson owns epiphone. POSTED: 08/27/2006 - 01:28 am / quote |
    Kain_Doom01
    All epis are horrible guitars, anything that you have to change hardware as routine as the Pick-up switch is a cheap piece of junk! The only good epiphone is the Zakk Wyld Les Paul, which needs new pick-ups and tuners, but atleast the damn switch works proporly, I mean, you can't give a guitar anything over a 5 in the condition catagory if the switch keeps snapping back -.-" The best guitar, that truely deserves a 10 in ALL catagorys is a 1950's Les Paul: That guitar is PERFECT, no flaws I could find in it what-so-ever, except the price of coarse XD I believe that the best starter guitar for REAL rockers that wanna play the classic rock goodies is an ESP, they have good stock pick-ups, and the DAMN SWITCH DOESN'T SNAP BACK TO THE MIDDLE IN MID-PLAYING!!!! I have a Viper FM-100 with 24 frets, a beginner price range guitar with 24 frets!? Blasphomy! Beleieve it! It sounds GREAT through anything but a fender amp, I don't know why, but it doesn't sound good through fender amps... Anyway, Epis all suck, done, and done If you dissagree, you can guitar battle me, your epiphone vs. my peavey rotor EXP