Les Paul Standard Plus review by Epiphone

Epiphone: Les Paul Standard Plus

Purchased from: Thomann

The guitar suits my style beautifully. I lean towards classic rock and blues and this guitar compliments that area perfectly. My setup is very simple. I run my guitar through a DigiTech RP 250 multieffects pedal, utilizing effects such as the Arbiter Fuzz Face, Big Muff, MXR Dynacomp, Phase 90, and a handful of others. I play through a 100 watt Hughes And Kettner Tour Reverb amplifier. Actually, I normally just use the reverb effect on my amp because the Tour Reverb has an extrememly crisp reverb sound. The guitar is very tight and has a wonderful tone with incredible sustain and harmonics. The treble setting was a bit bright and the rythmn setting was a little deep and muffled upon arrival so I simply adjusted the pickups a bit and messed around with the switches until I got the proper tone to suit my taste. I would say that if you enjoy playing rock ranging from Guns N' Roses to Pink Floyd, this guitar is the way to go. It compliments blues and rock extremely well. Heavy metal is a question mark. Probably not the crunchy and overpowering action you are looking for. Then again, the proper pedals would most likely get you pretty close.

I wouldn't trade this guitar for anything. I have been playing for 20 years and have owned everything from a Fender Strat to a Gibson Les Paul and every knockoff in between. Hey, if you want you can go out and buy a Gibson and spend about a grand more. I recommend you go to your closest music store and compare the sound of the Gibson to the Epiphone. If you think the difference is worth a 1000 bucks (minimum), then buy yourself the Gibson. This guitar I got for 445 Euros, on sale from 700. For that price there is no better quality. And if you're still not convinced, don't forget that Epiphone originated the Les Paul and is today owned by Gibson. Same company, same hardware, same sound. Excellent instrument.

This guitar is slightly heavy and a very sturd piece of mahogany. I wouldn't think twice about playing gigs with it. It is extremely reliable and rarely goes out of tune. Of course, I would always have a backup. It doesn't matter what kind of guitar you have, things happen. The string buttons haven't loosened yet and I have never had to tighten them. This is a very solid and well built guitar. Beautiful to look at.

This guitar had no visual flaws upon arrival. The finish is perfect. The pickups were pretty close, I only adjusted them slightly to fit my taste. I changed the strings on arrival, opting for Ernie Ball Super Slinky's. The intonation was perfect and the bridge was properly set. I didn't have to touch it. I did raise the string height on the high E about a quarter turn because it rattled slightly at the 21st and 22nd fret. No big deal. This guitar was playable straight out of the box.

OK. This is a Les Paul Standard Plus produced in October 2006. It was manufactured in China, though the manual says that the hardware was produced at Epiphone in Tennesse (Who knows for sure). It has 22 frets, solid mahogany neck and body, and extremely attractive birdseye maple top. It's a typical Les Paul body style with the cutaway to access the upper frets. The bridge style is also the standard Tune-O-Matic and the control switch is a 3-way switch between rhythm, treble, and middle. It has 2 Alnico Classic humbucker pickups. It also has Grover tuners. This guitar was purchased in Germany and is a much darker and richer Wine Red color than it's counterpart available in the US. It is a beautiful guitar to look at with literally no flaws and a simply flawless finish.

st-jenno
    zeppelinpage4 wrote: I just got mine a few weeks ago and the sound is amazing! I got it in trans amber and the finish is great.
    Im getting one in trans amber its a beautiful finish itll be a great replacement to a cruiser strat far better