Les Paul Standard Plus review by Epiphone

Epiphone: Les Paul Standard Plus

Purchased from: Bernard Deans', Scarborough

My usual playing style is Punk & 70's/80's rock with a lil metallic bite (so think Slash or Angus young via the Pistols or Ramones & you're just about there). It suits pretty nicely, although I've never liked the sound of the rhythm pick-up, always sounds a bit muddy, but I just play it at half volume along with the treble one & it seems great, can get a real Pistols sound out of it, specially with playing 'Pretty Vacant'. Rhythm tends to over-power the treble if left on the same setting, but as a quieter support, they do work nicely. Perhaps I need to get it sorted out, I dunno, it seems fine to me, it sounds damn good, you've just got to use your noodle, that's all.

As I said before, it's a good match for what I play, & it'll be a better choice as I get better (been playing for nearly 4 years. Only thing holding me back is physical fitness). Got no complaints about the guitar whatsoever, the weight is nothing for the tone pay, off. If it got lost or swiped, I'd either buy another one, or save up for the Gibson LP Standard, although to be fair, I've been won over by Flying V's & am looking to get the 965 G-400 (essentially the Epi version of the Gibson Angus Young sig.), so those are my next purchases. But a Les Paul is a true rock guitar, through & through. And woe betide the fool Who would steal it if I found them & knew about it.

In comparison to my other 2 guitars (the Peavey I've mentioned, and an Epi G-400 Xtreme, which is an Xtreme nightmare), this thing is an absolute bloody tank, I could use this as a hammer mid-gig & it'd likely still keep going (although the guy Who's head got in the way would be a bit worse for wear). Everything seems like it'll last for a long time yet, can see this staying with me until my 40's or 50's yet. It's easily capable of doing gigs without backups I've done it before, & I'll do it again. Only thing that'll break on this are the strings.

Action was weirdly set up to many, was high at the top of the guitar & low at the bottom. Seems to work all right, though. As I said in the Sound, rhythm pickup may be a bit close to the strings, no idea how to sort this out though. Everything else, apart from that was in superb condition. However, the jack input came loose from the bit of plastic covering it, but that was easily done, & I get the feeling that happens with most guitars anyway, as it happened with my Peavey Raptor guitar after a similar length of time, & could possibly be why when the SG was originally made, they changed the jack socket position. But that's enough guitar theory.

No idea about year, but I presume 2006, in Korea (parts inspected at Gibson's plant in Nashville, Tennessee. Or so I think), 22 jumbo frets on a Rosewood neck, Mahogany body, with twin Humbucking Pickups, Tune-O-Matic bridge with Grover tuners, a 3-way pickup selector, with a volume & tone control for each. Gig-bag thrown in too, bought a leather strap separately because the canvas ones always seem to slip like mad. All nice stuff, but I do get the feeling I was ripped off for price, but it was an 18th birthday present (along with a Marshall 50DFX amp), so I'm not going to complain. Weight is knocking on the door of 9 pounds (so about 4.5 Kilograms). It's a load, but to be honest, it's worth it, & I could do with a little exercise