Les Paul Standard Plus review by Epiphone

Epiphone: Les Paul Standard Plus

Purchased from: Local Store

I mainly play hard rock, blues and flamenco (but I only play Flamenco on my Nylon strig Esteve) but I like to try as many styles as I can, and this les paul suits everything! If you are looking for the most versatile guitar on the planet, look no further than the Epiphone les paul. I have tried many Gibsons, and though this isn't as good, it comes close. I play it through a crappy Ibanez practise amp and a Marshall stack. It sounds phenomenal through both, giving a rich, fluid tone, but at the same time, being able to give a beautiful acoustic sparkle in a second. The only problem I have is that the pickups tend to hum and feedback at high volumes, but that doesn't matter, because the stock pickups are coming out, an two Seymour Duncan Alnico pro 2's are going in!

This guitar suits my hard rock+blues style perfectly, and is awesome for those crazy Slash solos. I have been playin two years, but I am quite good, and have a lot of experience, from fixing my friends guitars, and countless gigs. My other electric is an Ibanez GAX, and this guitar beats it by a country mile! If it were stolen/lost, I would definitely buy it again, or maybe go for it's Gibson counterpart. I just love the rich juicy tone, I just wish it had a whammy bar! The only slightly bad things are the pickups, but that'll be fixed soon! It's easily comparable to the Gibson LP, and is nearly as good! I chose this over the Gibson because it is narly as good for 2000 less!

This guitar will easily withstand live playing! The hardware is solid, and seems like it will last. I don't really know about the strap buttons, because the moment I bought the guitar, I took them off, and put on some strap locks, just to be safe! The finish is great, and should last a long time!

The guitar was set up great at the fctory, although the ation was pretty high. That was easily fixed though. The pickups were adjusted perfectly, the bridge was routed properly, and had no problems at all. The only thing was that the frets were really grimy, so I had to take the strings off, and ose some 000 grade steel wool to clean them off. Easily fixed, but I don't think that I should have had to do that!

This little beauty was hand crafted in China, in late 2006. It's got 22 Standard frets, a nice sooth, thin set rosewood neck that my hand just glides up and down, and nine trapezoid inlays. The body is a les paul shape, solid body, made of mahagony, with an absolutely beautiful flamed maple top. It's laminated top, but you can't really expect a solid top for 8-900 bucks! It has got a Tune-o-matic bridge, with Epiphone passive electronincs, which are basically American designed, made in China, copies of the Gibson 490r and 498t pickups. It has got 2 volume and 2 tone knobs and a three way selector Switch. It has six awesome grover tuners which stay in tune so well! It came with a moulded, hard case, a cleaning cloth and a nylon strap. All in all, a stunning guitar for the money!