Les Paul Standard Plus review by Epiphone

Epiphone: Les Paul Standard Plus

Purchased from: Dave's Guitar Shop

First off I didn't start out playing guitar, I was a drummer. I've grown up with music though, playing piano from age 4, and I would play around with band members guitars and basses. So to me this thing sounds better than I can do justice to. That's why I went with an Epiphone vs. a Gibson right off the bat! Right now I'm just playing it through some little Roland 15w amp with some lame effects built into it, it's doing it's job though. I spent a lot of time looking at this guitar and many guitars at Dave's and played it through many amps. Right now I'm enjoying the tone that I get out of the bridge pick up on the clean channel. For me this gets a 10 because it is a great sounding guitar for what you pay for it!

I play mostly classic rock and metal and I've always like the Les Paul Sound so this is a great fit for me. I've been playing steadily for about a year, but played off and on for the last 10 years. This is my first electric and I own a Taylor acoustic, and also an older Gibson acoustic. Dave's did a great job with me and I'm very happy with my purchase. They let me try out many other guitars and sat with me to talk me through making the best purchase for me. This is the perfect guitar for me, I really didn't need the $5500 Gibson reissue that I really loved, this sounds 95% as good as that guitar and I've got a long way to go to be able to play well enough to really notice that 5 %. I love the way it looks and the way that the neck feels, what a great guitar, If you're looking for a guitar to learn on this is it!

This guitar feels like it would last and take a beating. In my last band one of the guitarists used an Epi to gig with he had a backup and never used it unless he wanted to play a different guitar. The other guitarist played a Fender and the finish on it took quite a beating, the Epi showed use, but looked way better. He dropped his once with barely any damage so for that reason I'm putting strap locks on it.

Well, I'm not sure how the guitar was set up at the factory, Dave's had gone through the guitar before it even hit the rack and had it playing beautifully! After playing my Taylor acoustic for so long, the action was amazing to me! Pickups were spot on for adjustment, I can't imagine buying a guitar online without having it set up before playing it. I had been looking at several guitars and the one I got had a great flame on it looks marvelous, I've spent a ton of time looking this thing over and I can't find a finish flaw on it, wonderful!

I just picked up this guitar as my first electric. It was built in China in 2007. Pretty basic and the same as the rest of the reviews, 22 rosewood frets, scale 24.75, etc. Mahogany with a Flame top maple laminate and honeyburst finish. Tune-O-Matic bridge, Standard Epi Humbuckers. The guitar came without a case, but I bought one along with it.

oneblackened
    I have this guitar, but the plain top version. It sounds phenomenal for the price and looks Kickass in VS. To rock strongo: they have relatively thin necks, but it still has a bit of beef to it.
    ej200ce
    buhda wrote: these reveiws are useless theres no way and epiphone les paul could get a 10 out of 10 it may be an ok guitar but its not great i wouldnt give my dads 1975 gibson les paul 10 out of 10 most of you have never played anyother guitars what have you got to compare to no guitar gets 10 out of 10 especially a epiphone
    hay its a good guitar and clearly great value. plus if some one gives it a 10 then to them its 10.
    Chrisiphone
    They are great guitars for the money! Plus gibson owns them so you can expect a certain amount of quality
    Jimbo1990
    then surely in guitar magazines where (most of the time) they know what they're talking about giving this guitar a 4 out of 5 rating are clearly wrong surely they should give guitars under say 300 a 2 star rating just because "oh its not made by gibson and its not 2000 then it must be sub-standard but obviously better than a 99 stagg guitar which gets a 0 star rating"
    eggy1991
    TobiasFn wrote: these reveiws are useless theres no way and epiphone les paul could get a 10 out of 10 it may be an ok guitar but its not great i wouldnt give my dads 1975 gibson les paul 10 out of 10 most of you have never played anyother guitars what have you got to compare to no guitar gets 10 out of 10 especially a epiphone you are so right.....
    you are both such idiots.... seriously...
    Darkness0819
    Ali-b912
    its about value and quality for money. i wouldnt rate a squier bullet 10/10 because they arent worth the 250 bucks i would have to pay for one. however if it was only like $90 i would give it 10/10.
    Darkness0819 wrote: hey..i was wondering...do any of you know what is better..an epiphone sg prophecy or an epiphone les paul standard plus..ive been meaning to buy a new guitar that will sound great with metal and hardcore music at an affordable price..but i dont know which to choose from
    well the prophecy is probably better in terms of electronics (especially if you get the GX one) but the frets past 22 are pretty useless because they are in the body too far. a les paul should do fine.