Les Paul Standard Plus review by Epiphone

Epiphone: Les Paul Standard Plus

Purchased from: guitar center

Out of the box it was ok, needed new strings/action adjust to delete buzz. But once tuned in, it cranked. I run through a DigiTech Grunge pedal for the beef, but the pickups sound fat that way.On their own they are a little weak for the hard rock sound. Mad sustain and good artificial harmonics with the volume pots upped. Treble p/u has the LP cut through, while rhythm, p/u is a little muddy when tone is backed all off.

For what I do with the guitar, this fits all my needs. Sound, action, finish all are good. I've wanted a Les Paul since I was 8 and for the bread I couldn't beat this opportunity. The fact that I received a higher grade model than I ordered is pure bonus. The only issue is the pickup sound, but for the cash I didn't expect DiMarzio crunch. The effect pedal adds what was lost for another 50 bucks. My buddy has a true Gibson LP and we're sounding spot on together, I just needed a bit more gear to get there. Bottom line, great value, good tone, good looks.

It may not be a Gibson, but this thing seems to have what it takes to provide years of comfortable playing. Live or in the hive, it feel rock solid. Hardware is not corroding (I wipe down after playing-lizard spit great stuff) and it stays in tune as well as you would expect without locking nut. It would be 1 and only with no fear or backup need.

As stated, it needed a slight amount of tlc to dial in the deal. Finish was great, neck is fast and smooth, good fretwork. One tone pot was a little stiff, but after a bit of use it came around fine. Strap pegs solid, binding even all around. One tuning peg washer was loose but a brief stint with it and all is well. All screws flush and straight.

I did look into the serial number issue and found it to be a fall 2006 stemming from the Gibson plant specifically, in Korea. It's your Standard scene Les Paul in cherry sunburst, but with a higher figured maple top than a Standard. I ordered over the internet and got the plus top for the Standard top price= smokin deal. It came with the gig bag, tuner, headphones, strap and amp. The amp I traded for a Marshall 15w.

aliceinnirvana
    Kain_Doom01 wrote: All epis are horrible guitars, anything that you have to change hardware as routine as the Pick-up switch is a cheap piece of junk! The only good epiphone is the Zakk Wyld Les Paul, which needs new pick-ups and tuners, but atleast the damn switch works proporly, I mean, you can't give a guitar anything over a 5 in the condition catagory if the switch keeps snapping back -.-" The best guitar, that truely deserves a 10 in ALL catagorys is a 1950's Les Paul: That guitar is PERFECT, no flaws I could find in it what-so-ever, except the price of coarse XD I believe that the best starter guitar for REAL rockers that wanna play the classic rock goodies is an ESP, they have good stock pick-ups, and the DAMN SWITCH DOESN'T SNAP BACK TO THE MIDDLE IN MID-PLAYING!!!! I have a Viper FM-100 with 24 frets, a beginner price range guitar with 24 frets!? Blasphomy! Beleieve it! It sounds GREAT through anything but a fender amp, I don't know why, but it doesn't sound good through fender amps... Anyway, Epis all suck, done, and done If you dissagree, you can guitar battle me, your epiphone vs. my peavey rotor EXP
    pig god 121
    if you have a gibson why buy a epiphone now you are a real dick head
    aliceinnirvana
    pig god 121 wrote: You sir are a dumbass. Not only is it highly incorrect of you to say that "all [Epiphones] suck," but you obviously don't know what you're talking about with the switches. Everyone I have ever personally known has never had a problem with their switches on an Epiphone. I have never had a problem with my Epiphone Les Paul Standard. In fact, it is better than a lot of the Gibson's I have played. Keep in mind that I have made no changes to my Epiphone. While a lot of Gibson guitars have much greater quality and sound than an Epiphone, the overall value of a good Epiphone is better than that of a mediocre Gibson. if you have a gibson why buy a epiphone now you are a real dick head
    I think you are the dick head to assume I "own" a Gibson. I do not personally own one, I have a family member who lets me use his.
    Anjohl
    Here's the thing with all epiphones, they are made using export free zones in foreign countries under licensed production deals, that often see multiple company's guitars all made in the same factory, with a different name stamped on the headstock (Mostly using samick as a middleman). These factories use subpar parts and wood, and the guitars are made using sweatshop-style labor, with little or no human rights recognitions. So, to give you the end result, everytime you buy an epiphone, you are promoting instruments being made by offshore companies, and further diluting the north american market. For an extra $3-400, you can often get a low level gibson, which is american made, and much higher quality. Even the mexican made fender's are so much better than an epiphone. The only reason to get an epiphone is if you are immediately changing the pickups, and even then, if you are serious about music, do you want your les paul to say epiphone?
    qotsa1998
    ^Some of us dont have an extra $300 or $400 to spend. And low-level Gibsons dont have the same wood quality and QC as a higher-end Gibson. And a similarly-styled Gibson LP Standard is around $2k. So really, for a good classic LP sound, an Epi doesnt seem too bad for the price. Ive played some Epi guitars, like a Dot and an LP Std. several times, and I personally think they arent too bad. They do what you would expect them to thru a good amp. So IMO, Epis are a really good value, and give you a good, classic Gibson sound for tons less.
    wotesed
    I will say that if you are buying an epiphone, it pays to get hands on with a few. I saw a handfull of dogily finished epi lp's before i finally found mine which i cannot fault in the slightest... 330 GBP well f-in spent!
    CustomCustom
    Once you go lower than Korean labor to China or Indonesia Ive seen a huge drop off in quality. The Indonesian LTDs arent too bad as is the Laguna I have but the new JH200 Hanneman is made in China and it feels like it has the consistency of plastic with all kinds of mistakes like a crooked nut!?!
    Anjohl
    Why spend $600 for an Epiphone that will need an immediate pickup swap to be palyable, with decent pickups being priced at $250, when for $1000, you can get a low end gibson?