Les Paul Standard Plus review by Epiphone

Epiphone: Les Paul Standard Plus

Purchased from: House Of Guitars

This is the nicest sounding guitar that I've played so far for heavy metal besides an actual Gibson. I use it through my gm108 and a DigiTech rp90. no settings that I have make it noisy. it has a very thick sound perfect for metal and rock. It can play any style of music I can think of.

I think this guitar is perfect for hard rock/metal players like me who want a really heavy sound I've been playing for like 2 years and I own a Behringer GM108 15w and RP90. If it was lost I think I would get a custom though if I didn't have the funds than I would get another. my favorite feature is the tune o matic bridge so that lowering action is easier. I wish it had a Floyd Rose though (a guy can dream) And I wish it could have came with a strap at least.

I think I have knocked it on a bunch of things and not even a scratch so it seems ubreakable (with reasonable punishment) I think it's dependable for gigs because it's grovers keep it intune even when I push them before the nut for that whammy effect. I'm not shure about the finish lasting because I've only owned it for like 7 months now but it smudges easily but it can be whiped off.

Out of the factory the guitar was set up perfectly but it's action is not as low as it could be but that's fine for my heavy power chording. The guitar has no flaws but the selecter kinda feels loose. The finish is completely perfect in any way so I can't have a complaint about that.

This guitar has 22 jumbo medium-jumbo frets on a rosewood fretboard. It has a gorgeous flamed maple top. The finish is a transparent cherry sunburst that is one of the most beautiful finishes that I've ever seen. It's got a single cut les paul body It has a tune o matic bridge and passive pickups with chrome hardware. Dual humbuckers and grover tuners. It came with only the guitar. And it's inlays are a nice trapezoid.

KenG
    I don't kow about other Countries but here in Canada you can't get a real Gibson LP (even a low line studio) for $1000.00. You'd need about $1500.00 and what I saw for that price was not blowing me away. I like a 'D' neck like on my Elitist but the Gibson Studio had a log for a neck, way too fat for me. Also, for that kind of money I'd expect quality which I wasn't seeing with visible finish flaws evident. While the pickups on the Chinese Epi's may not be as good, it's only 200.00 in Canada to get Seymour Duncans or Dimarzio's so add 200 to 600 and you're still talking half the price of a Studio or an Elitist.
    dutch5367
    Anjohl wrote: Why spend $600 for an Epiphone that will need an immediate pickup swap to be palyable, with decent pickups being priced at $250, when for $1000, you can get a low end gibson?
    because the low end Gibson are very good. I've owned the Epi standard and a Gibson studio and the Epi is better.
    dutch5367
    I meant to say the low end Gibson are not very good... the Epi standard beats it even with the pick ups it comes with
    wullybeeman
    Anjohl wrote: Here's the thing with all epiphones, they are made using export free zones in foreign countries under licensed production deals, that often see multiple company's guitars all made in the same factory, with a different name stamped on the headstock (Mostly using samick as a middleman). These factories use subpar parts and wood, and the guitars are made using sweatshop-style labor, with little or no human rights recognitions. So, to give you the end result, everytime you buy an epiphone, you are promoting instruments being made by offshore companies, and further diluting the north american market. For an extra $3-400, you can often get a low level gibson, which is american made, and much higher quality. Even the mexican made fender's are so much better than an epiphone. The only reason to get an epiphone is if you are immediately changing the pickups, and even then, if you are serious about music, do you want your les paul to say epiphone?
    do you really want your les paul to say, "i've got more money than intelligence?" hahahahaha.....
    CustomCustom
    I would agree with anjohl, for solid body electrics, Id rather have the Gibson satin finish LP studios or the cheap Gibson flying V (that thing has a very nice thin neck. Unless we are talking about an Epi Elitist then its up to preferences, I believe the Elitist (and also the Korean Zakk and Joe Perry Boneyard) are equal in wood and component quality to a Gibson LP studio.