Les Paul Standard Plus review by Epiphone

Epiphone: Les Paul Standard Plus

I play mainly punk and metal and sometimes some classic rock and this guitar suits it nicely. I mainly use it with my Line 6 Spider amp when I practice and it sounds great. No noise at all comes from the pickups, even on settings with a lot of gain. The bridge pickup gives a nice, roaring, and bright sound which is great for metal and punk or anything with high distortion. The neck pickup gives a nice, warm and full sound, great for clean settings. Overall, you can get a lot of sounds out of this guitar, but if you want that single coil sound, look elsewhere.

I think this guitar is a good match if you play anything with medium to high distorion because that's where this guitar really shines. I've been playing guitar for about 5 years and this guitar is one of my favorites, along with my Fender Strat HSS, and my Ibanez Iceman. If it were stolen I might consider buying a Gibson Les Paul because I can now afford it but I would reccomend it to anyone on a budget. This guitar can compare even with most Gibson models and that's what I love about it. I wish the pickups were a little bit hotter but they're Epiphone, What do you expect? Overall, a fine instrument for all ages and playing abilities.

This guitar is a tank. I've played Live with my band a lot since I got this guitar and it's went through being dropped a lot. The strap buttons are solid, but you might wanna get strap locks if you're playing Live. I personally never gig without a backup but I guess this guitar could be used without a backup. The finish on this will last for years to come and it doesn't show any signs of wearing.

This particular guitar was set up iffy. The action was a bit high, and the intonation was off. But after a 50$ set-up it was perfect. The pickups are at a great volume and so far I've had no problems with them. The finish is amazing (Cherry Sunburst) and had not flaws when I bought it. The nut left a little to be desired and binded once in a while but nothing some lubrication won't do. Overall, you might have to do a little work on it if your particular guitar isn't set up well.