Les Paul Standard Plus review by Epiphone

Epiphone: Les Paul Standard Plus

I play everything from Megadeth to Clapton and it can be made to fit every sound that I need, it is a very versatile guitar. I'm using my Backline 600 head and G-K cab(this is a bass amp). The clean and distortion are both fantastic, it has that signature Les Paul tone that so many people over the years have craved.

I've been playing for 4 years, and own a Fender P-bass, and a few other guitars. I would buy this guitar again in a heartbeat if it was lost or stolen, it is fantastic. I can't rave enough about the tone, the tone on this guitar is simply orgasmic, the tuners are the only thing I dislike about this guitar. I choose this guitar because it looked as good as it played. I wish it had grover tuners.

I've lent this guitar to a few friends to use as a backup and only one of them had to use it, and he said he was going to go buy one that night over his MIA Strat. The hardware is as good as you can expect from a Korean guitar, the strap buttons on mine are from strap locks so I'm not sure on the stockers. I think the finish will last a long time and age gracefully like a good guitar is supposed to.

I bought mine used, and it was set-up perfectly but the guitar shop set it up prior to me buying it. Everything about the finish on this guitar is perfect, mine was used and it still has no flaws, it's one hell of a well built guitar.

I bought my guitar last month used, according to the serial number it was made in 2001, it was manufactured in Korea. It has 22 frets, the body is Mahogany with a flame maple top. I bought mine in Heritage cherry, it has a Tune-O-Matic bridge and two passive humbuckers. It has a 3 way selector Switch and a tone and volume for both the treble and rhythm pickups. If it had grover tuners it would be a 10/10, but it has Kluson tuners which tend to go out of tune easier.

charlotte26
    i own a les paul standard it sounds brilliant. i paid 260, but it was virtually brand new.
    SupermanIsDead
    pig god 121 wrote: You sir are a dumbass. Not only is it highly incorrect of you to say that "all [Epiphones] suck," but you obviously don't know what you're talking about with the switches. Everyone I have ever personally known has never had a problem with their switches on an Epiphone. I have never had a problem with my Epiphone Les Paul Standard. In fact, it is better than a lot of the Gibson's I have played. Keep in mind that I have made no changes to my Epiphone. While a lot of Gibson guitars have much greater quality and sound than an Epiphone, the overall value of a good Epiphone is better than that of a mediocre Gibson. if you have a gibson why buy a epiphone now you are a real dick head
    hey bitch, what's wrong with having a gibson and then buy an epiphone? what, just because he had the better one? there's many of reasons to do that. don't talk too much if you're low minded bitch, will you.
    SupermanIsDead
    Anjohl wrote: Here's the thing with all epiphones, they are made using export free zones in foreign countries under licensed production deals, that often see multiple company's guitars all made in the same factory, with a different name stamped on the headstock (Mostly using samick as a middleman). These factories use subpar parts and wood, and the guitars are made using sweatshop-style labor, with little or no human rights recognitions. So, to give you the end result, everytime you buy an epiphone, you are promoting instruments being made by offshore companies, and further diluting the north american market. For an extra $3-400, you can often get a low level gibson, which is american made, and much higher quality. Even the mexican made fender's are so much better than an epiphone. The only reason to get an epiphone is if you are immediately changing the pickups, and even then, if you are serious about music, do you want your les paul to say epiphone?
    serious about music huh? so people wouldn't be considered serious in music if they play epiphone? what the **** do you know about "serious in music" kid? with all that comments you gave, you're certainly don't know nothing about "serious in music". do you think it's about the guitar that you played? and that trading thing you've mentioned, wtf?
    holycow
    CustomCustom wrote: I would agree with anjohl, for solid body electrics, Id rather have the Gibson satin finish LP studios or the cheap Gibson flying V (that thing has a very nice thin neck. Unless we are talking about an Epi Elitist then its up to preferences, I believe the Elitist (and also the [quote]Korean Zakk
    and Joe Perry Boneyard) are equal in wood and component quality to a Gibson LP studio.[/quote] zakk is korean?
    holycow
    and Joe Perry Boneyard) are equal in wood and component quality to a Gibson LP studio.[/quote] Zakk is korean???lol
    Chrisiphone
    When people say pay an extra $300 for a low end gibson you don't seem to realise not everyone can afford an extra $300 I love my epiphone to bits, and I personally wouldn't swap it for any gibson because I just love it
    eminentgonz
    buhda wrote: these reveiws are useless theres no way and epiphone les paul could get a 10 out of 10 it may be an ok guitar but its not great i wouldnt give my dads 1975 gibson les paul 10 out of 10 most of you have never played anyother guitars what have you got to compare to no guitar gets 10 out of 10 especially a epiphone
    They obviously prefer this guitar. Get off it.
    livewire76
    Im lucky enough to own a few guitars now and i have one of these too. For the money its about as good as you can get in my opinion. And what do you get? A really solid, all-round guitar. Perfect for an intermediate player who has outgrown his/her first "nameless strat copy" that they got for Xmas or whatever, like me. Im not alone there, i think.. Anyway, bottom line is: great guitar! If youve got the money its a good buy. I cant remember many days i had $3-400 "just lying around" when i was growing up.. I CAN remember always wanting an LP though! This is a great start for realising all your Page/Slash/Adam Jones dreams. Then, when youre a demon on this you'll be ready to upgrade.
    livewire76
    P.S. This what im talking about... Kain here has an LTD (not ESP! :p) Viper and a Peavey that has more or less the same specs as the Epiphone range, yet feels the need to run his mouth about his "extensive" guitar knowledge. Funny how he likes 50's LP.. tell me Kain-o, what EXATCLY is it about these guitars you like? Apart from the price tag.. *jesus* Bet you couldnt tell the difference between a 50's gibson and a epiphone.. Dork. Kain_Doom01 wrote: All epis are horrible guitars, anything that you have to change hardware as routine as the Pick-up switch is a cheap piece of junk! The only good epiphone is the Zakk Wyld Les Paul, which needs new pick-ups and tuners, but atleast the damn switch works proporly, I mean, you can't give a guitar anything over a 5 in the condition catagory if the switch keeps snapping back -.-" The best guitar, that truely deserves a 10 in ALL catagorys is a 1950's Les Paul: That guitar is PERFECT, no flaws I could find in it what-so-ever, except the price of coarse XD I believe that the best starter guitar for REAL rockers that wanna play the classic rock goodies is an ESP, they have good stock pick-ups, and the DAMN SWITCH DOESN'T SNAP BACK TO THE MIDDLE IN MID-PLAYING!!!! I have a Viper FM-100 with 24 frets, a beginner price range guitar with 24 frets!? Blasphomy! Beleieve it! It sounds GREAT through anything but a fender amp, I don't know why, but it doesn't sound good through fender amps... Anyway, Epis all suck, done, and done If you dissagree, you can guitar battle me, your epiphone vs. my peavey rotor EXP
    Chrisiphone
    I agree with you livewire76 Theres a lot of fanboys around who go for brand labels and don't believe in affordable quality guitars ALSO people judge guitars on music preference, mainly the obnoxious metalhead variety (not all of you, just a portion) because this guitar can't do TEH BR000oo0TAlaAZZZzz perfectly Its a brilliant guitar for the money and the people who buy them normally aren't buying it for a metal guitar
    #Vl@d@#
    What can i say about this guitar.It`s great for all kinds of music,especially for rock,blues and metal.
    FloyDZeD
    Anjohl wrote: Why spend $600 for an Epiphone that will need an immediate pickup swap to be palyable, with decent pickups being priced at $250, when for $1000, you can get a low end gibson?
    lolol That's why I buy GFS pickups, they're only $60 a pair. Also, my Epi LP cost me only $350 since I bought it before the price hike. And it plays (and sounds) way better than the low-end Gibsons.
    punkrockerdaz
    can everyone stop moanin about gibson epiphone bla bla bla every guitarist is an individual. every guitarist has diferent opinions on what they think sounds right or feels right. i have been playin for 12 years. i have owned 3 epiphones, lp junior, flyin v and firebird and they all felt right to me. my main guitar is a 100 uk pound encore strat copy. i've had it for 8 years. but it feels right to me. i love the feel of it. obviously as i gained more knowledge about guitars, i tried a few high end guitars, and to be perfectly honest, i would rather spend a hundred pounds on a crappy guitar and ugrade it (which i have done. i routed out the body, bought a new scratchplate, added a humbucker and so on) than pay a stupid amount of money on a gibson les paul. i know you pay for quality, but my car cost me less than what a low end les paul would cost. gibsons are way over priced and i wouldn't save my money for one. and why have the prices gone up? its still the same guitar isn't it? i just bought an epiphone les paul standard plus top. i love it. plays lovely. obviously needed tweeking here and there, but its a good guitar. someone said that some guitars are made in sweat shop conditions in china or south korea, so the quality is low... do you worry about where the clothes on your back come from? or our shoes? your watch? at the end of the day, its all down to preference. while everyone is out there boasting about their new gibson les paul standard, im busy getting guitars the way i like them without the overwhelming priec tag. and i dont give a damn if it is a hundred pound or a thousand pound, if a guitar feels and sounds good to me, that is all that matters. no one elses opinion even gets me to care what they think. i think the world would be a better place if e all followed this trail of thought. daz.
    ThreeB's
    Epiphones arent bad, we shouldnt be knocking on them. if you want better electronics and cant afford a gibson, swap out the pickups theres no shame in that. People are so stupid, an epiphone with really nice pickups is just as good and is customized to your own sound.
    you my friend are one of the most ignorant people i have ever come upon in this forum. 1. the amount of frets doesnt distinguish how good ur guitar is, way to sound like a completely stupid amateur. 2. A low end Esp will never ever compare to an epiphone less paul. If you throw tons of distortion on and have no concept of tone and sound quality mayb then maybe your esp will win this battle 3. you would honestly prefer your shitty run of the mill esp 150 - H pickups that are totally bass heavy and have no brightness to them, over the EMG's that come in the les paul zakk wylde. you my friend are a ****in idiot. cancel your membership to this forum. your not worthy
    jorgeluisramon
    I have my Epi LP STD plus in Vintage sunburst since 8 months ago. Is a beautiful guitar, sounds and feels nice, and im very happy with it. so at this time i think i wont pay 5 times its price to get a gibson LP (but maybe ill put burstbuckers on my lp)