Les Paul Standard Plus review by Epiphone

• Reviewer's score: 6.2 Neat
Epiphone: Les Paul Standard Plus

Price paid: € 500

Purchased from: Piens Muziekhandel Deinze

Style of music: Blues, Bluesrock, Rythm and blues, Rock n roll, Rock,... This guitar comes with Alnico Classic humbuckers, this guitar gives you a lot of gain, sustain and balls with a distorted amp. So when you play Rock, metal, hardrock,... this is a great sounding guitar... I'm definitely loving the bridge pickup (distorded or clean) but I'm not really convinced of the neck pick up --> sounds muddy, thick, too much bass. Not really what I was looking for in my opinion. I played this guitar live and had no problems with noise, feedback or other possible difficulties (sound). So: - great sound for rock and other genres with lot of distortion - not so great for blues and Vintage sounding genres.

I do not reccomend it because: - if you want a guitar in the price range of 500-700 dollars you have many possibilities (ibanez, fender, squire, Gibson studio or junior!...) that are better than this Epiphone. - It would not stay in tune! Positive: Finish (VS), bridge pickup, price.

This guitar is a pain in the *** when it comes to staying in tune, especially with new strings. But this is the only negative thing I have to say when it comes to reliability... It would be a good backup during a live gig but I do not reccomend playin this guitar a whole gig.

- Action: much too high for my style of playin, not that great but you can set the action lower yourself. - Fit: I do not like the neck (I prefer satin finishes) - Finish: For the price the finish is ok... Not great but ok.. Nice sunburst and it looks a lot like (a made in USA) Gibson.

2004, China. Read all the specs on the website of Epiphone under the following link. Vintage Sunburst Gigbag included The features are ok but I expected the GROVER tuners a little bit better, this guitar is a nightmare to stay in tune... Alnico Classic pickups is a nice feature.

lespaul4eveR
    ahhh my first guitar, i love this thing, stay in tune forever and sounds nearly as good as my gibson
    inkmanic : avoid buying anything copied just save for the real thing because the les paul copys are just not the same as gibson unless you go for an esp edwards which gibson sued becasue they was making better les paul's check edwards out there about 900 pounds better then 2 grand tho
    i dont know what your smoking but this guitar is the most amazing guitar for the money, i can get sounds from hendrix to jimmy page to metallica out of this thing and in my opinion it has a better finish than my gibson, still gotta love a true gibson though, still i give this guitar a 9.9.. if your looking for a good starter guitar or moving up from something in the $100-250 range buy this guitar, amazing piece of wood and metal in my opinion